Deborah's reflections

My journey to becoming a K-6 TL.

ETL505: Describing Educational Resources (202030)

on February 22, 2020

jarmoluk / Pixabay

I have begun to read module 1 and the assessments of my 4th subject and this one has a different feel. It has relevance to a variety of  different types of libraries and is about how a new resource is added to a collection. Analysing and describing a resource in a standardised way will enable users to locate what they need more effectively. Properly described resources are quickly and  accurately found within a library management system (LMS). A similar example is how Marie Kondo has successfully devised a management system for organisation in the home for collections of similar items.

I’m looking forward to understanding the work of SCIS (Schools data and information service) because they allow me to instantly add a new resource to my library collection. Imagine manually cataloguing every resource! Z-cataloguing on the Oliver system (NSW public schools LMS) streamlines the process quickly.

Accuracy of description will ultimately ensure students and teachers are able to find what they need. I hope to understand this process better.