Deborah's reflections

My journey to becoming a K-6 TL.

ETL501: Conclusion. Another one bites the dust.

on October 2, 2020

EliasSch / Pixabay

ETL501 The dynamic information environment began as a big challenge for me. Truthfully, each and every subject as I make my way through this course is challenging. In the beginning, I feel the overwhelming weight of the work, hours required and challenges the tasks require. A pattern is emerging and it repeats itself with each new topic. I go through similar stages of let’s get stuck in, to plodding through readings and activities, then the pressure and confusion of assignments, then more clarity as I work out the task with the support of online meetings, discussion forums etc. Lastly to the satisfaction of completing and handing in large assignments. Quite a feat while working full time.

I have finished five subjects of eight: more than half way. A great achievement that I wasn’t sure I could accomplish at the starting point. With each new subject, there are varied challenges and technological ones are perhaps the greatest. Creating a research guide to support students and teachers online appeared an insurmountable challenge. I got there in the end with a satisfactory result – we’ll see what mark I end up with!

The information environment is truly dynamic, what I am learning now may be quite different from how we will operate in a library in the future. The only reliable constant is that the Department of Education in NSW is slow-moving and little happens with urgency. Thornburg’s four spaces of campfire, watering hole, cave and life (Oddone, n.d.) focuses on developing collaboration, innovation and creativity in library spaces. These ideas will take us into the pedagogies for now and in the near future.

Our role is growing larger within the school environment and with that comes greater responsibility not only for the physical and virtual space and library management but for the learning of the community in which we work.

For now, enjoy the holidays!

Oddone, K. (n.d.). Re-imagining learning spaces to inspire contemporary learning – part one: Models for change. Living Learning. https://www.linkinglearning.com.au/re-imagining-learning-spaces-to-inspire-contemporary-learning-part-two-creating-your-space-on-a-budget/