Deborah's reflections

My journey to becoming a K-6 TL.

Activity & forum Using this search comparison tool – visual search ranking comparison (Shrink the web). Compare two search engines using the following terms: volcanoes schools teaching Assess the quality of your results e.g. how relevant were the first 10 results if you were finding information for a geography teacher in a secondary/primary school? Now re-do the activity by conducting two searches using Google and another search engine.

on August 9, 2020

Simon / Pixabay

For the TL, this does not mean which is the best search engine, because there is no such thing. If the question is Which is the best search engine for my particular purpose? then there is such a thing as the best search engine.

ETL501 Module 3.1. Course notes. (2020, July 26)

Comparing Google and Bing is the first time I’ve used another search engine. I fall into the majority in going to Google first and only. The results were interesting because only two of the top ten sites matched. The Guardian and 3dgeography came in at places one and nine for Google and one and three for Bing. All other sites were different. I mistakenly assumed that the same three words <volcanoes schools teaching> would produce an almost identical list of hits.

On closer inspection of the sites I found many were useful resources for geography teachers and students from preschool to high school. However one in the Bing search, wishbonegroup.com.au was offering a service to write a piece for me. There are grammar and spelling errors in the description which set off alarm bells. The site itself looks professionally set up. However, it was inviting me to cheat. It would be so easy for a student to fall into the trap.

I’ve learned a lot with this activity.