Deborah's reflections

My journey to becoming a K-6 TL.

3.4 Accountability in practice

on April 8, 2019

Which of Valenza’s data collection ideas you are likely to use in your own library?

Joyce Valenza’s (2015) ideas are so practical and relevant. The one I’d be keen to use most is google classroom. (What! I here you say, you’re not using google classroom!!!) In our library at the moment I am sharing our space with another class due to a big mould issue in their classroom. As a consequence space is tight so I have lost desk and smartboard access. The 30 desktop computers that are also in the library are timetabled for classes to use so I don’t have access to them at all.  I do have ipad access some of the time as they are shared with science/French and Italian teachers and my classes are working on the floor with placemats as desks. A situation the children don’t mind at all! I am starting small with a half class (year 4 of a composite 4/5) and playing around with how to set up tasks. We are learning together and they have great suggestions for how they would like to use the platform, e.g book joke telling, book reviews and quizzes whereby they make up the questions and take turns to post them. All of which we will do. We have a long road ahead to be considered a digital literacy library, however we are willing to pull on the boots and make tracks in the right direction.

Free-Photos / Pixabay

Valenza, J. K. (2015). Evolving with evidence: LEVERAGING NEW TOOLS FOR EBP.Knowledge Quest, 43(3), 36-43. Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/docview/1643157720?accountid=1034