Ideals of leadership for libraries

When I consider the role models that I have who demonstrate leadership, there are certain traits that stand out. I have already mentioned this in a previous post, however, considering the top ten traits of librarian leaders prompts me to reflect and evaluate again, the leadership qualities displayed. The ten traits listed in the learning module include: interpersonal skills; vision; communication; flexibility; integrity; creativity; advocacy; delegation; service focus; education knowledge.

Many of these traits are evident in my role models. But many are also lacking or perhaps are not demonstrated as strongly as they should be. Key traits that stand out are those of advocacy and service focus. I pinpoint these two, because I know the importance of advocating for libraries and Teacher Librarians. I find these two traits particularly challenging working in a part time role. Whilst I work in a supportive school, the challenges still exist. Not being onsite all week means I only see staff and students briefly. Pushing out emails don’t result in the feedback and ongoing communication between staff that I envisage. When I am onsite, time is an ever present factor that influences the moments I have for advocating my role and services. How can this change? What can I do to make myself more visible and present within the school? Evidently, the culture of the school needs to continue to adapt and change. Working with key members of staff, helps in liaising and planning time for me to present and offer my services and the need for collaborative practices with the TL. Deliberately joining stage based meetings and planning sessions can help my presence being recognised as one that offer valuable assets to the school’s curriculum.

Certainly, it is evident that advocating for strong team work and collaboration is key to shaping an effective and robust teacher librarian.  I really resonate with the following quote by Sarah Brown:

A library is successful because of the entire team or staff, and a successful librarian leader enables and empowers the team through challenges and changes. (Brown, 2015, p. 34)

Brown discusses the ‘biology’ of librarian leadership pointing out that passion and a drive for making libraries successful, is imperative for upholding the library’s mission, providing a quality service and managing an accessible collection for it’s clients (Brown, 2015, pp. 33-43). As a beginning TL, I have passion and drive for making my library space the best it can be for my school. But I know this cannot happen without the support and collaboration of my school staff. By advocating for change and setting challenges that will empower members of my school, I know that over time, the culture of the school can change to support a servicing library that is intent on benefitting staff and students.

Brown, S. (2015). Leading the 21st-century academic library : successful strategies for envisioning and realizing preferred futures (B. L. Eden, Ed.; pp. 33–43). Rowman & Littlefield.

Piper, J. (2021, July 22). Observations of leadership in the TL role. Lines of Thoughts: Reflections of a Teacher Librarian. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/jennyp/2021/07/22/observations-of-leadership-in-the-tl-role/