Utilising learning objects

Prior to this course, I hadn’t really considered the TL as a publisher of resources. As TLs providing support for students and teachers, particularly in the information field, it is no surprise to learn that TLs are indeed publishers of resources such as Learning Objects (LO).

LOs offer unique opportunities to inform and guide both students and teachers, in the learning of a specific task (Memorial University, 2016). Providing digital LOs allow users to access these resources outside of school, or without the presence of a TL. For teachers, the flexibility of digital LOs means they can edit copies of LOs to suit their specific teaching task and to meet the needs of identified students.

As a TL, the creation and publication of LOs for my school clientele, opens up the opportunity to utilise specific resources within my school’s library collection that will support the school’s teaching and learning programs. The creation of templates allow the flexibility of creating multiple online resources addressing specific topic requirements in a very short space of time. As we all know, time is valuable and precious.

When I have taught my Stage 3 (yrs 5 and 6) students content that has required notetaking, I have often struggled with providing a user friendly tool that can be accessed repeatedly as their need arises. The idea of creating an LO for this specific task, is inspirational. Reading Dr Claire Brown’s article on effective note-taking has prompted me to reflect and think about how I can improve my services as TL for my students.

Becoming confident creators of LOs for the benefit of our library clientele, ensures that library users will value the creation of digital resources that can be applied to various aspects of teaching and learning.

Brown, Dr. C. (2015, May 21). What’s the best, most effective way to take notes? The Conversation.
https://theconversation.com/whats-the-best-most-effective-way-to-take-notes-41961

Memorial University. (2016, April 18). What are Learning Objects? Instruct­ional Resources: Resources
for Instructors to Use When Planning, Creating, Teaching, and Assessing.
https://blog.citl.mun.ca/instructionalresources/what-are-learning-objects/#