The Placement Process

Upon commencing my studies for ETL512, we were instructed to start exploring options for our Professional Placements. Originally I’d indented to do my placement at a local library; but alas, after completing the pre-placement modules I came to realise that my intended library fell under the Brisbane City Council Library catchment which was on the “do not contact” list for potential placement venues.

Apprehensive about completing my placement in a university library and unable to commence my placement within a school (as I’d already worked at a Teacher Librarian), I started searching for potential information agencies that would meet my professional and personal goals with a focus in younger users, technology, and community engagement.

First, I searched for book shops or resources centres that may have had a trained information specialist. This proved unfruitful. Next I started looking into family libraries, toy libraries or small community libraries with the Brisbane suburbs, which yielded a small crop of venues of which I applied to:

1. Ipswich Children’s Library
  2. CPL Resource and Toy Library
  3. Marsden Library
  4. Logan North Library
  5. Beenleigh Library

I also decided to contact a few larger facilities which included:

1. State Library of Brisbane
  2. Brisbane TAFE Libraries

Lastly, I applied for a placement at Griffith Library, as Kasey had notified the ETL512 cohort that they were accepting applications and it was close to my place of work/home.

It has been a daunting experience for me;  writing applications, updating my CV, emailing and calling agencies, being rejected and questioning the direction of my career (all after a year and a half off due to mental health related illness). Recently, I heard back from the Ipswich City Council stating that my application had not been approved due to high demand during the dates I had provided. Through a phone call with a council liaison , and a change of dates, I have been conditionally approved to commence a placement with QLD’s first state-of-the-art children’s specialised library between July and September (pending mandatory training and WPL application).

What I have learnt from this process is that persistence is key.