Part 2: Learning About Content

While completing the collaborative Digital Citizenship Learning Module [DCLM] I engaged in new learning about: process, content, and tools. Thus I have published my reflections about the DCLM in 4 parts: 

Part 1: Learning About Process- “Good Enough” Research

Part 2: Learning About Content

Part 3: Learning About Tools

Part 4: Learning About Process- Online Global Collaboration

New learning related to content is the least unique type of learning that occurred for me when completing the Digital Citizenship Learning Module [DCLM] because learning new content is an expected outcome for each subject I take towards my Master’s in Education (Teacher Librarianship) degree. 

From my reading of the resources I gathered (growth in this area is detailed in Part 1: Learning About Process- “Good Enough” Research) to prepare for the DCLM I was persuaded of the positive impact the digital world can have on children. While I am cautious by nature, I was curious about all the conflicting messages we seem to be getting about screen time. As a result of the resources I developed a personal point of view about the benefits vs. dangers of screen time, and I did my best to convey these new understandings in my section of the DCLM (Social Media- Digital Citizenship for Families: 4-7 years). In personal practice, when talking to parents about screen time in conferences just yesterday I was able to recognize as valuable the interests of two of my more “screen obsessed” students. I encouraged these families to share and continue the work the students were doing during an after school activity at home. In past conferences I was more likely to emphasize having a limited amount of time on screens. In this case I was able to point out to parents the important creative work their children were doing using coding programs and to encourage further exploration through parental interest and involvement. This new perspective resulted from my research and new understanding about the value of different types of experiences on digital devices. I continue to share this perspective when speaking with colleagues or parents who are technology averse.