Part 1: Learning About Process- “Good Enough” Research

While completing the collaborative Digital Citizenship Learning Module [DCLM] I engaged in new learning about: process, content, and tools. Thus I have published my reflections about the DCLM in 4 parts: 

Part 2: Learning About Content

Part 3: Learning About Tools

Part 4: Learning About Process- Online Global Collaboration

The biggest hurdle I faced when beginning this course in July was the online research process. I felt completely unprepared when I faced the challenge of finding some of my own resources for my first assessment, a literature review. When I finished the assessment I reflected on how challenged I was by the research process and, as a result, with managing my time (Robertson-Jones, 2018). Because of this struggle I was committed to learn more about online research. I signed up for CSU library workshops and practiced my search skills in lower-stakes situations.

This assignment was the first time I felt some level of competence when seeking resources. I approached the search with a positive attitude and followed a more disciplined search process based on Gregory’s “Keyword Inquiry Log” (2018), recording the terms and parameters I used to see which yielded the most useful results. Instead of the time-consuming and possibly distracting process of reading each resource, I pinned the promising leads from searches in Primo. Finally I scanned the abstracts or introductions and unpinned those resources that I felt were not applicable or as valuable. I was left with a manageable list of five new resources, and most of these led me to other articles and books pertinent to my topic. Although I was still left with too many good leads to be able to follow them all, the time I spent following these links was fulfilling because all were developing my background knowledge. As searching for information was a such a burden for me when I began this course, I feel quite accomplished at having found a process that works for me and is not overly time-consuming or frustrating.

To improve my research process in the future I would start by scanning my own curated list. When browsing my Diigo library I found additional resources that would have been useful for this assignment. However perhaps the most important skill to develop as I become a more experienced researcher is to find the balance of “good enough.” 

too few resources

enough resources

too many resources
uninformed informed overwhelmed

Gregory, J. (2018, February). The keyword inquiry log: Documenting progress of information searches. Teacher Librarian, 45(3), 29–33. Retrieved from http://ezproxy.csu.edu.au/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=lih&AN=128027177&site=ehost-live

Robertson-Jones, M. (2018, August 21). Reflection on ETL401 Assessment #2: Literature Review. Retrieved from https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/marla/2018/08/21/reflection-on-etl401-assessment-2-literature-review/