Observations of leadership in the TL role

I’m fortunate to be working in the TL role at my small Sydney school. I have a supportive principal and a wonderful small staff who are supportive and collaborative. However, the more I progress through my course, the more I access various TL forums and read about the profession, my views on what leadership means in this role is ever changing.

Prior to commencing this course, my view on leadership was somewhat narrow and limited to the executive staff who ultimately lead, guide and mentor the staff of the school. Having been in the role now for a few years, I am increasingly seeing how my input and suggestions have made positive changes both in the achievement of students with regards to reading, an appreciation of the library as a space of positive wellbeing for students, a source of supportive resources for staff and students and opportunities for effective collaboration among all staff, be they teaching or non-teaching.

Many a time I have not considered myself to be ‘leadership material’. But my ongoing evaluation of the changes, improvements and directions that I have had input in, as mentioned above, I wonder? Am I already partaking in a leadership role? One that is collaborating with the formal executive team? One that is unintentionally (or intentionally!) making changes for the benefit of staff, school and more importantly the students.

I mention the phrase ‘formal executive team’. My small school status in a lower socio-economic demographic means we have strict budgets, tight schedules and limited resources which are closely managed by the executive and administration teams. So whilst I see my role’s visibility increase within the school, I am aware it is not recognised formally as a role that equates to leadership.

My hope for this course is to understand how the qualities of leadership permeates to the TL’s role and how it can have greater input into the management and structure of whole school programs such as literacy and technology.