Posted in ETL401

2.1 Definitions of information

As I started this module I’ll admit to a bit of an eye roll, wondering if we were over analysing the term ‘information’ and for what purpose. However by this point I am feeling quite resolved with where the module is heading and the definition of information.
I particularly enjoyed learning about the Data-Knowledge continuum and felt this added a lot to my understanding of the term information. Of course the word ‘data’ made me think of L3 immediately so I tried to apply that example. We collect ‘data’ through assessment so the students’ work sample or test is the data. Collecting that data onto our spreadsheet and PLAN (as it was) organised it into information. Analysing the spreadsheet and PLAN and making sense of where students were at was creating knowledge. Using that knowledge to plan ‘where to next’ for students and setting their learning intentions was wisdom in action.
The explanation of information as a tradeable commodity also set of a few lightbulbs for me, particularly the attributes of information leading it to self multiply and contribute to information overload.
The module so far has lead to terms such as information society, information overload and indeed ‘information’ being much more clearly defined for me.

It was reassuring to read through the discussion posts of others, seeing them also wrestling with the finer details of what we thought was a straight forward concept. I particularly enjoyed Sarah Merat’s post (Date: Sunday, 10 March 2019 7:24:19 PM AEDT Subject: RE: 2.1 Thinking about information) that introduced me to the term ‘bullshit meter’ and our role in developing said meter in our students.