I went to the Library today…

Published on Author equinn19891 Comment

Today I felt so overwhelmed. Trying to listen to last nights online meetings with a crying baby who needed a nap but was doing everything not to go down that I started to worry about my assignments. I got to the point where nothing was productive so went out to the shops and Library. I thought maybe I could find a book about Libraries or education. Didn’t really know what I wanted, but just something.

I couldn’t find anything about education, or at least not about educating children other than “dummies guides”. What I did find was a beautiful book full of photographs of Libraries around the world, coloured images of rows of green or red books, huge domed halls and beautiful cosy reading and researching areas. In my frustration of still being unable to put the baby down I didn’t stay long looking at the beauty of those pictures. I promptly went and bought a large amount of chocolate which is now hidden under my study area (please don’t tell the kids). But it did get me thinking of how I would like to present a library. What would I want to include if I had the money for a library (dreaming I know) but could you imagine what our library spaces would look like if we combined our passion for learning and information if that money existed.

I would have a variety of specialist rooms attached to an open egg shaped hall where books are displayed and stored. Cocooning pods for reading, a level above suspended from the roof as though floating in the air where people could collaborate, meet and enjoy the learning opportunities. This description does not do justice of what is in my head right now.

Sometimes in our moments of being overwhelmed and we think ‘what have I done?’ the most amazing ideas and images come to mind and though I am not in a position to have such dreams come true, it does settle my mind back to the beauty that is teaching and the beauty that a library can be.

One Response to I went to the Library today…

1. Hi Elyse,
    I really needed to read this today. I can totally relate to your feelings of being overwhelmed! I also have small children who like to sit with me during online meetings.
    I love your ideas on how you would create a library space – sounds fantastic.
    I also enjoyed your literacy post. I’ll leave a comment there too.
    Katie