Assessment item 1 – Online Reflective Journal Blog Task

Digital games have been a big part in my life ever since I was a little child. But I was obsessed with education and is a large reason why I took a philosophy degree, so that I could focus on the philosophy of education. I have written five books and I have released countless films. I turned education into a fun activity. The goal was to use these forms of media to make education indistinguishable from entertainment. This is why I am so interested in video games now. Because I want to learn how to make educational games that feel like pure entertainment without stooping to techniques such as violence to obtain and maintain the player’s attention span.

I am particularly interested in games that test and develop your moral compass. Fallout 3’s Karma indicator goes from Devil to Messiah. I like games that guide you through an adventure and tests character aspects like courage and honour. I want to develop a game that teaches moral philosophy. I would have it so full of resources, one could explore it for the rest of their lives. But doing this would be tricky because I envision a 3D game without violence. I don’t even have a single quest mapped out and I don’t really know how I would create the quests.

I have always been attracted to games that pull you in, where you are the main character and entered your name upon its request. The best stories are always the ones where you have to save the world. In fact, I have a recurring dream where I have super powers and I am trying to save the world. In my real life, I try to save the world with my work. Games that make you feel special are well designed games. Inspiration can be spread through text, audio, video, and now, through video games. Their educational purposes are boundless if we are only creative. How can we tell a story worth hearing while pulling the player into said story? How can we use that story to convey meaningful information that the player can take with them away from the game? How can we create new experiences with the player in which would reward them both in and out of game?

My inspiration for making this game is because of all of the violence that exists in schools. I wanted to create an alternative to traditional schooling and I see the possibilities within games to bridge the gap. I am amazed with the Nintendo Switch and it would be amazing if I could provide a comprehensive education system cleverly disguised as a game for a platform like that. My eyes are on the future because I want to be able to include my 500+GB of videos and currently that would not fit on a Nintendo Switch cartridge. My eyes are on the future when storage is no longer a problem. Then I can use the data I have created in many different ways.

Author: Wendell

I spent my life invested in wisdom and naturally graduated in philosophy at university. When I understood the bigger picture, I created free pieces of information in order to effectively convey those topics. I wrote five books sharing my wisdom into what a better tomorrow could look like. I directed countless films to educate you about the topics. Along my journeys I was banned and censored from almost every mainstream and alternative platform. However, I fought very hard for the right to bring this information to you. So for the rest of my days I will make videos, write books, and make games that show you what this world could one day become if we only play our cards right.