Starting – ETL504 Teacher Librarian as a Leader

So this is my penultimate subject!  I only have ETL507 to complete and I am officially a fully trained Teacher Librarian.  YEAH!  That said, this subject does worry me a little.  A few fellow students have praised my sense in leaving this subject to the end.  I have been told it draws on the other things learned in the course.

However, what worries me is the sheer volume of work in this subject.  Everyone who I have spoken to has said this is very heavy content wise, and as someone who is only a term into a full time TL position (I was only 2 days a week previously) I am still finding my feet at my new school and still trying to organise the shelves (the fill-in non-trained ‘TL’ didn’t realise books go on the shelf alphabetically!).  So I hope I can keep up with the work load.

That said I am curious to see what this subject is all about.  Having had Jennie Bales for ETL402 I know she is a great subject coordinator.  A few of my fellow TL’s in training seem to doubt that TLs have the time or opportunity to be leaders in the school.  I think however, as the sole TL in a school (as most of us are) we are uniquely positioned to lead – in some areas at least.

I have completed a subject on digital citizenship and know my knowledge of the digital world is better than most other on staff.  My knowledge of children’s book is also extensive (though I am still learning what is in my current collection) so recommending texts for pleasure or to support units of work is something I am also very good at.    But the knowing is only part of it.  To be an effective leader you need the knowledge and the skills to engage, innovate and enact change.  I think TL’s can be leaders, just the same as any other teacher in a school.  The how may be a little different, but ultimately as a TL your success in leadership is up to you.

Just finished reading: The Slightly Alarming Tale of the Whispering Wars by Jaclyn Moriarty