Relativity of qualitative research

Published on Author equinn1989Leave a comment

I had not in the past realised the varied nature which encompasses qualitative research. I had always viewed qualitative research as series of questionnaires to be distributed to willing participants in a study. I now realise that it is not as simple as this. Data is data which can not be questioned, however the methods by which it is extracted can be called into question. In the past I have come across research which I questioned, e.g. data being created from small sample groups (I have seen a report based on 45 people specifically chosen, causing a severe misconception which was the opposite to large scale studies based across a variety of locations).

Qualitative research consists of large amounts of data needing to be analysed and utilised to create an understanding of a theory and generate ideas which answer/create hypothesis. I also had not considered the relationship between feminism and qualitative research. The freeing and non-subjective nature of qualitative research allowing for women’s voices impacts on achieving the overall goals of feminism (Bryman, 2016, p.403).

Bryman, A. (2016). Social research methods (5th ed.). Oxford, UK: OUP.