ETL 504 – Teacher Librarians as Leaders? Initial thoughts.

I have worked in both the hospitality and educational sectors and in both areas I have landed in supervisory or management roles without actually ever wanting the roles. Working as a classroom teacher for the past 9 years my principal was great at telling me what role I would be good at and pushing me to lead committees which I was not comfortable in doing. While I understood that potential for such roles was being identified in me and recognised how it how it suited the principal’s agenda at the time I felt there was no consideration into what I was comfortable and interested in taking on even after explicit conversations I felt I was not being listened to or respected. Eventually, I left the job and here I am embarking on a new journey as Teacher Librarian.

Now the subject of TL as Leader is a very daunting subject for me given the brief history I’ve outlined. I feel like I may have jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire so to speak. The Case study scenario presented to us in this subject reminds me of the pressure cooker environment from which I have gotten away from. Thankfully this seems so far removed from my current workplace scenario. In my current primary school the library staff consists of me, myself and I. I can see leadership opportunities but feel no pressure to ‘step up’ at the moment as the school has not had a qualified TL prior so expectations are pretty basic at the moment. I feel I need this degree and some experience under my belt before asserting myself as a leader.

I am very interested in Lori’s term “leading from the middle”. What it looks like and how I can approach such leadership style in the future?