ETL 503 – Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

Current literature surrounding resources used within classrooms and libraries suggests a tension between fiction and non-fiction texts (Mosle, 2012). From my personal experience, I have found that in the two schools I have worked at so far the teachers use the library and its resources very differently. My first school relied heavily upon the non-fiction collection to support Science, History, Geography, STEM & Projects and teachers were always visiting the library and asking for advise when it came to choosing quality picture books and fiction to support their reading and writing programs. At my new school teachers do not seem to use non-fiction (from the library anyway) to support subjects taught in class. I gathered war and parliament books for the stage 3 teachers last term in the lead up to them visiting Canberra for their camp but they were not interested in taking them. Teachers especially in K-2 are very interested however in fiction for their reading and writing programs.

School culture and habits I think play a role in how teachers use the library and favour either fiction or non-fiction. It is my job to have them see the value in both so that they use them interchangeably to support all key learning areas to engage and inform their students.

References:

Mosle, S. (2012, November 22). What should children read? The New York Times. Retrieved from https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/22/what-should-children-read/?_r=0