ETL 504: Initial Reflection

Teacher Libraian as Leader- Initial Reflection

Libraries struggle to justify themselves in the age of Google. There are many who believe libraries are no longer necessary. Often the role of Teacher Librarian goes unnoticed. It is seen as a place for borrowing and returning books. When someone question about our role, it is highly disappointing and sometimes I wonder- are we endangered breed?

Recently at the school I work, the position of Head Librarian was considered not necessary. Someone working in our school as head librarian for 18 years  had to resign from his role as the management thinks his role was needless. He had been convincing the management about his role for the past 3 years. He now a continues to work as a History teacher. All his job responsibilities is now given to me but without any title or additional perks or relief. With all these thoughts in mind to consider the role of teacher Librarian as a leader is a question mark for me.

Through this course, I am sure I will gain insight on our role as leaders and work effectively with my additional job responsibilities.