Teacher Librarian as Leader – Initial Thoughts

As I near the conclusion of my Teacher Librarian education, I am now beginning to consider how the Teacher Librarian takes the role of leader within the school. Prior to my Masters degree, I did not even consider the possibility that Teacher Librarians were considered as leaders in the school as my personal experience placed them with classroom teachers. It is clear that the Teacher Librarian works with all members of an educational setting and they explore how teachers can become more knowledgeable in literacy through facilitating professional learning opportunities. The Teacher Librarian also develops strong ties with the school community and endeavour to provide students with a range of interactive literature experiences involving a number of third parties. These are clear characteristics of an educational leader and directly tie into the Teacher Librarian practice. Moving into ETL504, I would like to learn the many other ways a Teacher Librarian is considered a leader. I would also like to learn the many different ways Teacher Librarians employ leadership strategies to their practice. I have also learnt through my Masters degree that the Teacher Librarian is heavily involved in curriculum development and delivery and I would like to become more familiar with how the Teacher Librarian is involved in this process.