judyo54blog

Thoughts on working and studying as a TL

the working week

| 0 comments

This week

I have had a few weeks when the library was very quiet – we are an exam space for students who need support so we are basically shut down several weeks at a time – this is one of the issues that have to be dealt with under the heading of ‘dedicated space’!

This week I have worked on a few tasks:

planning a lesson for year 7 on research skills – pd 5 on a friday – not much hope!

I tried the cut up reference – book and online – that they had to assemble and then an exercise on looking at fake websites and applying the CRAP test – not much interest but no major problems with behaviour with this class this time.

I have worked with the science department this week with their year 10 enquiry task – I realise that we need to add websites to our catalogue and I have subscribed to Cosmos, National Geographic and New Scientist – no point buying text books any more really.

I have spruiking the ebooks on the Wheeler platform but not many takers but a lot of requests for books they don’t have

I finally tidied the fiction section – non fiction next week – could probably weed a lot more

Watched some year 7s using a great program that creates picture books and allows them to add text

Searched and printed some articles for senior history using state library nsw eresources – have asked senior teachers to get their students to join up

Explained to a few senior students the notion of the deep web, invisible web and the iceberg with google at the top

Read Skellig – one of the english texts that most year 7/8 students read – lovely book and understand why they read it

Also read Parvana – Debbie Ellis a fantastic writer around asylum issues

Also read Wimpy kid and laughed – I understand why boys like Jeff Kinney

Finally finished supervising all the Open High School students language exams  – our chinese students struggle with understanding enough language to learn their beginners Japanese course – constant calls from the OPHS about lack of progress