judyo54blog

Thoughts on working and studying as a TL

Understandings of the role of the TL in schools.

| 8 Comments

I was a librarian before I became a teacher. I worked as a librarian in a busy public library in the UK and later as the information manager/research librarian for a domestic violence research unit at UNSW,  https://www.anrows.org.au.

When I completed my teaching qualification, I had not planned to teach for long and was looking to work in a school library at the first opportunity. I was always a little curious as to what the role would actually entail and how it would align with my previous knowledge and experience of libraries as well as my expectations of what I would be doing. I  imagined that a lot of the time would be spent with students working on reading, especially promoting the love of reading and literacy, as Neil Gaiman states that reading is, ‘one of the most important things one can do’ (Gaiman, N & Riddell, C 2018, para 1).

In some school libraries, there is collaboration between the IT staff and the librarians who manage the library systems and technology located in the library. In many school libraries, the teacher librarian is the leader in using and teaching digital resources. (Webb, S., 2015, p. 29)

All libraries require assets management of resources such as computers, laptops, printers, headphones and ipads and other assorted resources and librarians are often responsible for managing space, hosting events and storage and maintenance of media. I assumed that this management aspect would be part of the job.

I taught as a HSIE teacher for three years before I started my first teacher librarian position. I became immersed in classroom teaching and from this experience, I realised how little time teachers have to think of anything but the syllabus and planning the next lesson. As a new teacher, I spent hours searching for good resources to use in the classroom. I decided that as the school librarian, my priority would be to consult with faculties to generate useful and relevant teaching materials.

As part of my lessons with senior students, I had often demonstrated how to search and retrieve e-resources  from the NSW state library, using their dedicated HSC resources, and, based on the response from these students, I knew this was an area that I could develop as a teacher librarian. (https://www2.sl.nsw.gov.au/eresources/)

I also realised that while I was teaching, I used the library as a teaching space but rarely used the resources. This was an important realisation for me and I knew this perspective would underpin how I approached collaboration with faculties. I did however support and attend the variety of groups and clubs that used the library as their cultural hub and looked forward to developing these co-curricular events.

I know from my experience that there is a wide variety of roles that can be performed by the teacher librarian in schools but this is often shaped by the school budget and the culture and context that underpins the school and also the skills that each teacher librarian brings to the job. Each school has its own expectation of what the role of the teacher librarian will be while teacher librarians are a diverse group with a wide spectrum of experience and skills, training  and ability.

Australia’s National Research Organisation for Women’s Safety. (2018). Anrows. Retrieved from https://www.anrows.org.au

The Guardian.com. (2018). Neil Gaiman and Chris Riddell on why we need libraries – an essay in pictures.Retreived from https://www.theguardian.com/books/gallery/2018/sep/06/neil-gaiman-and-chris-riddell-on-why-we-need-libraries-an-essay-in-pictures

State LIbrary of New South Wales, (2018). eResources. Retrieved from https://www2.sl.nsw.gov.au/eresources/

Webb, S. & Ray, M.C. (2015). Teacher Librarians: Mavens in a Digital World. School Administrator, May 2015.
Retrieved from https://s3.amazonaws.com/pageturnpro2.com/Publications/201504/3167/65468/PDF/130743784049770000_SAMay2015FullMagFlipBook.pdf

8 Comments

1. Hi Judy,

I am fascinated that you have Library experience from the UK and from UNSW, I feel like you would have excellent grounding in ways that I am still finding my feet! You have highlighted some essential skills that we draw on in our positions in terms of management of a variety of resources and in our communication with colleagues. An added bonus for you is the combination of Teaching and library experience – how lucky for the staff and students that you will work with.

The strongest point that I connect with in your post is about time, especially in terms of preparation that staff undertake. The teaching profession is intensely consuming and unless you are a teacher or really know one well, this can be overlooked by others. I keep reflecting on how best to collaborate with staff as I know how time poor everyone really is and I want to maximise people’s use of the resources that we can offer to alleviate some of the chronic overload that exists.

I hope that despite the budget restraints that limit us all that you are able to create that thriving hub for all the unique and exciting things your students need!

Regards,
    Marie.

2. Hi Judith, I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on your blog about the role of a Teacher Librarian. I am fairly new to teaching and like you curious about what entails in the role and wanting to gain experience in the Library environment.
    I was very interested in the point you made about how as a classroom teacher you have such a large amount of responsibility, that there is usually little time left over to create on a larger scale. I mentioned this in my blog as well, focusing in on how balancing the development of content, and teaching literacy information knowledge is quite difficult. But as a TL we have a unique opportunity to deliver the extra knowledge and management tools that may fall by the wayside in a classroom environment.
    Another great point you brought up is how in the library you used the teaching space and not necessarily the resources. This demonstrates how there is a gap there in this collaboration and leads to thoughts of how we as TL could combine to the two for easy access, use and understanding of them both, in turn allowing for a better school community and student success.
    Thank you for your insightful blog, I look forward to reading more,
    Stacey

3. Hi Judy,
    This is a well written post, in a clear and simple blog design. You’ve commented on Jason’s post thoughtfully, though might have focused more on the appearance of his blog, and whether his post about the role of the TL was effective. You bring a wealth of experience to the role of TL, and it’s interesting that you’ve come from public libraries, and to school libraries through HSIE teaching. You might have addressed the requirement for CC attribution on this blog. You use sources well, and have a good grasp for this early stage of the subject of the potential of the TL role.

Well done, good start.

Lee
    ETL401 SC

4. Decent information picking up article. This post is truly the best on this profitable subject. https://bigbass-splash.com/big-bass-splash-pin-up/ I truly welcome the sort of points you post here. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing us an incredible data that is really useful. Great day!

5. I love your wp format, where did you get a hold of it? teslatoto