Managing e-Books

After reading Morris & Sibert [ALA Editions version] about acquiring e-Books I have to marvel at the libraries who have already implemented a process for having e-Books in their library!

While I read regularly on my iPad, I am not a big lover of e-books.  I would much rather buy / borrow and read a hardcopy version of a book than an electronic version.  However, I do understand that my views may be in the minority and I can see the appeal for e-books in libraries (no overdues!).

As a part-time TL in a library that still only has hard copy resources the concept of introducing any e-books is daunting.  It is clear the process for selecting and buying these resources is not simple.  There are many factors to consider including:

• The different ways e-Books can be purchased – do we go through a subscription service or do we buy books outright? How do we determine the best method for acquisition?
  • The different types of e-Books that can be purchased – what types of e-Books do we want or need to buy? Are we simply adding fiction titles or do we want to add non-fiction as well?
  • Sources of e-Books – who should we buy from? Should we use a number of different publishers ourselves or should we utilise the services of a company that works across publishers?
  • The type of access users will have – should we just purchase a single user use or do we want to allow for simultaneous users? Does the nature of the book help determine the access level?

The process of obtaining e-Books is quite different to physical resource acquisition.  A determining factor for me would be on ability to evaluate these resources before I purchase them.  I can flick through a hardcopy book in a book store or when it has been sent, but how can I evaluate a resource properly if I can’t look at it first?

I think before beginning the process of e-Book acquisition TL’s need to research.  Speaking to and learning from other TL’s experience in this process would be my first step.  Learning from someone in a similar situation to myself will hopefully assist in making the process smoother, quicker and more successful than trying to do it on my own.

References:

Morris, C. & Sibert, L. Chapter 6, Acquiring ebooks. In S. Polanka (Ed.), No shelf required: E-books in libraries [ALA Editions version] (Chapter 6, pp. 95-124). Retrieved from http://ebookcentral.proquest.com.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/lib/csuau/detail.action?docID=598919

Just finished reading: Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl