Popular books and the Library

This topic is one close to my heart and experience. I will give two examples of recent encounters with students and a Teacher Librarian regarding the accessioning of new books.

The most recent one came during a shopping trip with my friend, who happens to be a TL. She had requests for books about the popular game Fortnite. While at the local Kmart, she found two children’s books that were about this online game. She was concerned about the rating of the game and the suitability for the borrowers in her library. The decision she made was to tag the book for Year 6 only, meaning the younger kids would not have access to them. A good example how to make the library a place where the students are listened to.

Having started as TL myself in a school at the beginning of Term 1, the requests for books have been coming in swiftly! Unfortunately, due to having no budget yet, I had to disappoint the children. I did feel bad as the library needs a upgrade of the collection. I did make a wish list with the students and hope to tick a few of the requests of the list! To acknowledge the needs of the students, an interim solution like the wish list, can make the children feel heard.