Role of a Teacher Librarian in schools

The role of the Teacher Librarian was a foreign one when arriving in the NSW school system. Being an overseas trained Primary School teacher, Australian schools seemed like a completely different world to me.                                             In the early years the TL was just another staff member in a vastly different set up of an education system. Coming from a system where there was no library in the school, let alone a TL, it took a while to pick up on the specialist role he/she was playing.

After a couple of years and some varied experiences, the library became more of an intriguing part of the school. I was able to have some days as a casual teacher in the library at multiple schools.  The role I was filling seemed a great one. The opportunity to have interactions with all of the children of that particular school was definitely a bonus.  The amount of books and resources, the organisation , it was great. The library always seemed filled with exciting displays and activities.

During my travels as a casual (from the Hunter to Dubbo and back again), a librarian became one of my closest friends. Through her I was introduced to the other side of the Teacher Librarianship. The programming for the variety of stages, the way the leadership team views the importance of the library, the resourcing of the library through the limited budgets and fundraising.  It has also opened my eyes to the possibilities of a well run, well resourced and well valued library.  I was able to do one day a week maternity leave for her for 2 Terms. This gave me insight in the programming and delivering the content, the behaviour management, the circulation of books and so on.

The way the TL works in the school seems to depend of the value the other teaching staff place on them. In some schools the TL runs their own program without much consultation with staff. Other schools see the TL and the time the children spent in the library as an extension of the classroom learning.

The role of Teacher Librarians is  not limited to just reading a book to the children and letting them borrow books. TL’s are expected to be leaders, managers, curriculum developers, literature promoters and service providers (School Library Association of South Australia, 2015)

My current position is as a TL in a small country school for 2 days a week.  This is even more eye opening….. I am responsible for teaching 8 classes over these 2 days, programming,  circulation of books and teacher resources, picking out new resources to update the collection, weed through the collection including the teacher resources, increase the borrowing of students and foster the love for books. I am absolutely loving it and it was the push I needed to start this Masters. I have also joined my local library group, MASLA and several Facebook groups and websites.

My knowledge will continue to grow during this time and I hope to do the profession proud!

2 Comments on Role of a Teacher Librarian in schools

1. cordelia.keogh
    March 24, 2019 at 6:06 am (5 years ago)

That’s amazing that you experienced the role as a TL through casual work! I too found this is where I grew a love for the position. Well done on your blog btw!

Reply
  2. Judy O'Connell
    March 26, 2019 at 11:26 am (5 years ago)

This was a really enjoyable post shared with us, and the enthusiasm really glistened off the page as I read. Your personal experiences have certainly shaped you, but you have also been open to ‘seeing’ the possible. I am glad you were shown what is possible and that you could fill a role to be tempted to begin the TL training. You have highlighted what is so important about the job, so I certainly hope you achieve all that you hope!

Reply