The three little pigs: How Personalized Learning Networks can make a difference (A fairy tale).

Now is the time to make the confession, I do love a good story. Stories traditionally can help us to learn abstract concepts quickly and efficiently (Ellington, 2014), which can be a personal and emotional experience (Sukovic, 2014). This got me thinking about making my digital artifact for INF532 something slightly different for my prospective audience, adult learners who are being forced to do their Certificate IV in TAE to be compliant.

Snow Byte and the seven formats. LibraryOfCongress. (2013, September 10). Snow Byte & the Seven Formats: A Digital Preservation Fairy Tale. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfMgOKy9bPw
Snow Byte and the seven formats.
LibraryOfCongress. (2013, September 10). Snow Byte & the Seven Formats: A Digital Preservation Fairy Tale. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfMgOKy9bPw

I fondly remember from INF433 Digital Preservation that the Library of Congress created a digital story based on the story Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and thought maybe I could create something similar for helping my cohort to understand how a personal learning network could support them with their learning.

I trawled through stories that could be appropriate and finally landed on “The three little pigs”. A simple story, but one that would resonate with the learner as they knew the story which is a touchstone moment in peoples lives (Ellington, 2014) and would hopefully remember the new version that included the information about personal learning networks.

I have to admit that this has been fun to re-write the story, but am concerned at the length of the video. However, as this is a narrative it did give me the latitude to make a more lengthy video (as it was a full recreation of a story). But to include all the information necessary and make the story interesting has meant that the length has been impacted.

Originally I had wanted to do shadow puppets or a traditional storyteller in the chair just simply telling the story, however these were all a little low tech for me, so went with PowToon. The nice thing about using PowToon is that I will be providing professional learning sessions on this and other animation software in 2017, so the story boarding and brainstorming I have done will all feature.

The digital artifact “How a PLN saved the three little pigs” will form part of a series of session on how to become a 21st Century educator in 2017. It will be released under the flipped learning model as a precursor to a session on personal learning networking and personal learning environments.

Stoytelling, grounded in the human psych and important culturally for all humans.

Storytelling is a solid mechanism for teaching (Thornburg, 2007), and still has a place I feel in a digital experience via digital storytelling and videos.

Ellington, L. (2014). Technology: Impact on the Practice of Storytelling. In V. Wang (Ed.), Handbook of Research on Education and Technology in a Changing Society (pp. 104-115). Hershey, PA: . doi:10.4018/978-1-4666-6046-5.ch008

Sukovic, S. (2014). iTell: Transliteracy and Digital Storytelling. Australian Academic & Research Libraries, 45(3), 205-229. doi:10.1080/00048623.2014.951114

Thornburg, D. (2007). Campfires in cyberspace: Primordial metaphors for learning in the 21st century. Thornburg Center for Professional Development. Retrieved from http://tcpd.org/Thornburg/Handouts/Campfires.pdf

2 thoughts on “The three little pigs: How Personalized Learning Networks can make a difference (A fairy tale).”

1. I love this idea, and I love your digital artefact! Instructional Design Principles suggest that knowing your learner, their needs and their entry skills is paramount. The link to a popular childrens story in your digital artefact. Constructivism also suggests that people learn by applying their own knowledge and experiences to a situation, and who doesn’t know the story of the the three little pigs?!

1. Thanks so much Kath, I am glad that you liked the idea. I have had some good feedback from a braintrust who liked the idea and felt that they subliminally learnt from the story without having content forced upon them.
      My video will be used as a very small introduction for a bigger set of learning sessions, which is really going to lean on constructivism theory to help new lecturers build their skills.