The Information Age – The impact of 24/7 access to information

The World Wide Web, paired with devices which allow us to easily locate information, mean that we can find the answer to almost anything we want to know within seconds. When I was younger, I thought this was exciting, and in some ways, I still do. However, now that I am juggling life as an employee, a student, and a parent, I’m somewhat less impressed with the ability to be ‘connected’ all the time. In many ways, it actually feels like a burden.

When asked to consider some of the ramifications of having access to information at all times and to think about how this affects my ability as a student, I was quickly able to identify both positive and negative effects.

Advantages

• Immediate access – I really appreciate that if I come across a term that I am unfamiliar with in my studies, a quick internet search will usually enable me to locate several definitions of the term. If I need to do further reading, I am often able to locate more detailed information through academic journal articles online. This leads me to my next point.
  • Convenient – I need not ever leave the comfort of my study in order to locate the information that I need. When I studied my first degree back in the early 2000’s, I didn’t have internet access in my home and I certainly didn’t have a smart phone. I walked to the university library and in most cases, looked for a physical copy of the book or journal that I needed. If I didn’t have the information I needed before the library closed, I’d have to wait until the next time it was open to find what I needed. Talk about inconvenient!
  •  Current – I enjoy how easily I am able to find both current and relevant academic journals and books online when studying.

Disadvantages

• Switching off – I mentioned previously that I enjoyed being able to access information around the clock rather than having to wait for the library to open. Unfortunately, this also means that because I know I can access this at any time, I find it difficult to ‘switch off’ during times when I should be focusing on other things. I think this is true for many people in general, and a definite negative affect of being constantly ‘connected’.
  • Distraction – It’s a wonderful thing to have an inquiring mind and be able to search for, and locate information. Unfortunately, this also means that one must be very good at focusing on one task rather than becoming distracted and going on a different tangent…which I am guilty of on more than one occasion.

Ultimately, I enjoy having such ready access to information of all types, presented in various formats and delivery modes. The key for me is learning how to strike a balance between information searching/consumption and simply being without the constant need to ‘find the answer’.

4 Comments on The Information Age – The impact of 24/7 access to information

1. bec kelly
    March 24, 2019 at 6:09 am (5 years ago)

I also worry about our inability to switch off from the information cycle. Importantly, we need time to process and reflect on the information we access. In a world that devalues down and quiet time, it is a skill that I am not as good at as when I was younger. I think that the physical space of a library offers the potential to encourage reflective processes, just need to work out how.

Reply
    • donna.drysdale
      March 24, 2019 at 6:41 am (5 years ago)

Absolutely! I think this will need to be part of what contemporary libraries offer, a place for quiet contemplation, in addition to collaborative work spaces.

Reply
  2. trisha.templeton
    April 20, 2019 at 6:10 am (5 years ago)

i really engaged with this post of yours. thank you for articulating my thoughts.

Reply
    • donna.drysdale
      April 20, 2019 at 6:20 am (5 years ago)

Thank you Trisha

Reply