ETL402 Assessment 2 – Part B Reflections

I began my Masters study pondering aspects of the teacher librarian’s (TL) role in the development of a collection to help resource the curriculum and providing annotated bibliographies to support classroom teachers (Parker, 2020, May 16).  Connecting with ETL402 has added greater depth to these initial thoughts. I realise that the support given to classroom teachers (CT) by exposing them to and providing them with quality fiction to be used across their teaching and learning establishes the TL as a vital player in school curriculum development. Beyond literacy maintenance (Australian Library and Information Association & Australian School Library Association (ASLA), 2001, pp. 60-62) supported by knowledge of literature available for children and young adults (Australian Library and Information Association & ASLA, 2004) the TL plays an instrumental role in understanding how to best embed quality relevant literature into the curriculum. It is this literary learning, supporting and enhancing learning outcomes (Cornett, 2014, p. 147) that provides opportunities for making a difference in childrens’ lives (Parker, 2021, November 29).

Literature collection development can be a “mission in pluralism” (Stevenson, 2006, p. 516) where the TL must navigate the diverse needs and interests of the school community, whilst judging quality texts and considering their worth. I admit that I have relied heavily on standards set by established book awards to determine merit and support my decisions but realise through the readings in ETL402 that this can be detrimental to the diversity of the collection (Rawson, 2011). Investigating Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander fiction to support my first assignment opened my eyes to the importance of authentic voice in narratives. A collection should reflect the diverse needs and interests of the school community however it must reflect the diversity of our society and should be done so in an authentic and relevant way. Books that invite students to reason, acknowledge propaganda, understand the emotional elements of persuasion and learn about rational argument create well-informed future citizens (Rodda, n.d. as cited in Hays, 2011) who are critical, ethical and creative readers. If we as educators want to make a difference, challenge perspectives and foster curious, creative, connected future global citizens we must create educational environments that help students make connections across their learning and beyond. I was able to appreciate how this can be achieved through the use of supporting literature response strategies such as digital storytelling investigated for my second assessment. Opportunities are provided for students to personally connect to the literature and themes tied to further content learning in an engaging and familiar way. Students, as socially connected readers (Heick, n.d.) are consumers/creators of content on an increasing number of social media platforms such as TikTok (Hutchinson, 2021). Digital storytelling mirrors their digital lives outside the classroom, encouraging the development of transliteracy skills.

I realise that the multifaceted role of a TL provides an ideal framework for literary learning to occur, the TL can “work magic” (Lysaught, 2022, January, 19) with their well-placed view of the students and curriculum as a whole (Nelson et al, 2002, p. 66). As a curriculum specialist, information specialist and leader I hope to place literature where it belongs, firmly across the curriculum. Ultimately with an expert eye on collection development I hope to provide a diverse world that delivers access, choice, and authenticity (Parker, 2021, December 3).

Australian Library and Information Association & Australian School Library Association. (2001). Learning for the future: developing information services in schools (2nd ed.). Curriculum Corporation.

Australian Library and Information Association & Australian School Library Association. (2004). ALIA-ASLA standards of professional excellence for teacher librarians. Australian Library and Information Association. file:///C:/Users/rutha/Downloads/alia_asla_standards_of_professional_excellence_for_teacher_librarians_2004%20(3).pdf

Cornett, C. E. (2014). Creating meaning through Literature and the arts: An integration resource for classroom teachers (5th ed.). Prentice Hall.

Hay, L. (2011, March 22). Emily Rodda, Lu Rees Archives & literary learning. Student Learning Through School Libraries. https://studentslearn.wordpress.com/2011/03/22/emily-rodda-literary-learning/

Heick, T. (n.d.). Exactly how technology can make reading better. TeachThought. https://www.teachthought.com/technology/technology-makes-reading-better/

Hutchinson, A. (2021, November 14). New report suggests TikTok will surpass 1.5 billion users in 2022. SocialMediaToday.  https://www.socialmediatoday.com/news/new-report-suggests-tiktok-will-surpass-15-billion-users-in-2022/610018/#

Lysaught, D. (2022, January 19). Stage 5 English: Year 9 unit on Power and Freedom [Online discussion comment]. Interact 2. https://interact2.csu.edu.au/webapps/discussionboard/do/message?action=list_messages&course_id=_58477_1&conf_id=_115076_1&forum_id=_259132_1&message_id=_3903753_1&nav=discussion_board_entry

Nelson, G &, Kinnane, A. & Barrett, B. (2002). Making the links: A whole-school approach to programming. B. Gordon (Ed.), Practical literacy programming (pp. 55-71). Primary English Teaching Association.

Rawson, C. (2011). Are all lists created equal? Diversity in award-winning and bestselling young adult fiction. The Journal of Research on Libraries and Young Adults. http://www.yalsa.ala.org/jrlya/2011/06/are-all-lists-created-equal-diversity-in-award-winning-and-bestselling-young-adult-fiction/

Stevenson, D. (2006). Finding literary goodness in a pluralistic world. Horn Book Magazine, 82(5), 511-517.