ETL507 Assessment 6 – Professional Reflective Portfolio

Part A – Statement of Personal Philosophy

The teacher librarian (TL) plays a crucial role connecting key members of the school community working within and across many teams as a strong collaborator with effective interpersonal skills. The TL is an instructional partner, information specialist, curriculum administrator, digital expert, manager and leader who models best practice whilst passionately supporting, influencing, and inspiring colleagues and students alike.

As a TL I am committed to providing students with opportunities to engage with and apply 21st century skills that afford a growing understanding of information and digital literacies. I consider myself an educator, innovator and a lifelong learner committed to inspiring students to develop social, ethical and global awareness of their physical and digital environment.

Part B – Critical Evaluation of Learning

I came to my Master of Education (Teacher Librarianship) (Figure 1.) course with thirteen years of primary classroom teaching experience, five years of which has been spent managing the library and endeavouring to develop a suitable library program. This has provided me with an appreciation for the multifaceted nature of a TL’s position within the library and school community. Guided by the Australian School Library Association’s (2014) outline of TLs as information service managers, curriculum leaders and information specialists, I have been able to identify and delve further into areas of developing and managing a quality collection, literacy support and digital knowledge and expertise (Parker, 2020a). As I continue to refine my understandings shaped by my studies, I have been able to realise three emerging themes of information literacy, collection development and digital citizenship. Furthermore, it is satisfying to note the application of this new learning is evident in my current practice.

Figure 1. Schedule of study

Note. Table of Ruth Parker’s ‘Schedule of Study 2020-2022’ for Master of Education (Teacher Librarianship). Own work.

(1) Collection Development

Thoughts on Theory

The theme of collection development set against an ever-shifting information environment proved to be a pivotal area that challenged my perception of the library and its community. Examining acquisition and accession, issues of copyright, evaluation of collections, policy and future demands proved to be an overwhelming yet vital opportunity to reflect on the important role a TL plays in recognizing and meeting the needs of the users (Parker, 2020g). With a deep understanding of the school culture, its vision (outlined in the school strategic improvement plan), curriculum and user community the TL is able to consider the collection, how to develop it, what it will look like and how it will evolve throughout the school year. Driven by the presence of a “well-articulated and inclusive”  (Parker, 2020k) Collection Development Policy (CDP), incorporating both physical and digital collections carefully curated in line with the specific needs of the environment, the library will serve to engage, inform, entertain and support (Parker, 2020e).

Initially I contemplated both collection management and development as part of an all-inclusive process sharing equal importance in providing a relevant, physical and digital collection to meet the needs of the school community (Parker, 2020b). However, guided by further research I understood that collection development involved the mechanics of collection creation (selection, acquisition and deselection), with management as a “broader term” (Corrall, 2011, p. 5) addressing the manipulation and dissemination of resources (Johnson, 2018, p. 1; Evans & Saponaro, 2012, p. 22).

Nevertheless, I found the emphasis placed on teaching and learning when discussing the school library and its collection intriguing. Whilst considering the needs of the users when managing the availability of resources, school libraries must also provide spaces for all types of activities, whether solitary reading or collaborative group work (Kimmel, 2014, p. 46). Therefore, flexible environments are created to provide “variety according to class, group or individual needs, supporting Quality Teaching” (NSW Department of Education, 2017, p. 3). This caused me to conclude that whilst acknowledging the importance of a school library’s collection of carefully selected books/ebooks, it is based on much more than “efficient library systems” (NSW Department of Education, 2017, p. 3). I found myself returning to a more holistic position, where TLs are, through the development and management of the library, curating an experience to meet the needs of the users (Parker, 2020e).

My Practice

Research and assessment for ETL503 prepared me for the task of reviewing and rewriting my school library CDP. Following Johnson’s (2018) advice I conducted surveys to assess:

“quantitatively and qualitatively the effectiveness of the collections in meeting users’ needs, help solve specific problems, define the makeup of the actual community of library users, identify user groups that need to be better served, and provide feedback on successes as well as on deficiencies” (p. 304).

Encouraged by my learning experiences in INF447 I was able to frame key guiding questions that helped collect data to inform the necessary update of the CDP. I then conducted surveys of the user community, collaborated closely with teaching staff and collected anecdotal data as suggested by Johnson (2018, p. 305). Following my own thoughts on usage reports (from the Library Management System) providing data driven reflection and future decision making (Parker, 2020i) I also ran (and continue to run) reports to further support current and inform future CDP choices.

Two key areas were identified as requiring action:

1. The introduction of a Graphic Novel section of the collection supported by student input/choice. Additionally, guided by my ETL401 assessment 2 research (Parker, 2020f) I have begun to consider how best to present library resources. Reflecting on Saikaly‘s (2019, p. 14) observation that we are “living in a genre-based world” I am now preparing the way to genrify the fiction section.

Figure 2.

(a) Graphic novel collection in library

(b) Genre stickers to be used to genrify the fiction collection

Note. Photographs taken in 2021 of (a) Graphic novel collection in progress and (b) stickers to be used to genrify the fiction collection. Own work.

2. To support a more inclusive collection to meet the needs of the small population of EAL/D students in the school. I collaborated with the languages (Japanese) teacher to establish a successful connection with the Japanese members of the school community. This resulted in donated resources to spearhead the creation of a collection of Japanese language fiction books. Accession is currently being completed and further additions are being planned.

Figure 3. Newsletter article written by Japanese teacher, 2021

Note. From ‘Japanese Library Project’ by Chika Akutsu-Hughes, 2021, Northbridge Public School Newsletter. In the public domain.

Figure 4. Japanese fiction books donated to library by Japanese community

Note. Photograph taken in 2021 of donated Japanese fiction books. Own work.

Reflections and Future Practice

Following my reflections on the merits of collection mapping (Parker, 2020i) I intend to begin formulating a process of mapping collection analysis to create a curriculum map. Collaborative opportunities such as this positions the library and its collection within and instrumental to the teaching and learning across the school (Parker, 2020i). The aim if for the CDP to provide “transparency of direction and purpose to the audience” (Parker, 2020k) as a clear recording of the library’s commitment and to some extent vision in a formal public document.

My school library collection houses only a small proportion of ebooks, audiobooks and subscriptions which unfortunately appears to reflect the norm across NSW (Softlink, 2019, p. 19). Whilst lamenting the challenge technology poses to collection management in school libraries (Parker, 2020k) it is clear the reality of recent external pressures felt due to the COVID19 pandemic have seen a pressing and rapid technological demand on our education system. The impact of lockdown restrictions on access to library collections and an increasing demand for online learning tools merely brings to the fore the necessity for introducing and managing eresources by way of a separate eCollection Development Policy (Parker, 2020k).

(2) Information Literacy

Thoughts on Theory

Early in my studies I theorised that it is imperative as a TL to understand the nuances of our ever-changing information landscape in order to successfully guide students through “the information highway” (Parker, 2020d). Attempting to expand this notion further I focused on skill development by “assisting students to gather authentic information that is both manageable and from valued sources” (Parker, 2020d). Such a behaviouralist approach to Information literacy (IL) skills was short lived as I considered Langford’s (1998) query:

“Is it [information literacy] a concept or a process?… Or is it a new literacy that has been transformed from existing literacies to complement the emerging technologies for which the Information Age students must be skilled?” (p. 59).

On the one hand IL embraces multiple 21st century skills situated in a digital information environment (O’Connell, 2012, p. 8). Consequently, the ability to problem solve and use critical thinking should be embedded in a student’s ability to identify, locate, evaluate and use information in order to construct meaning. However, the notion of a new literacy should not simply be seen as digital literacy but a literacy more closely aligned with the “greater societal and global contexts of information” (Kutner & Armstrong, 2012, p. 27). I would argue then that IL is a student-centered transformational process recognising the learner as finding, understanding and evaluating information for personal, social or global purposes (Abilock, n.d., para. 1). As educators we have a vital role to guide learners to navigate this process of capturing, critically evaluating and using information to fulfil specific needs. IL is more than just the mechanics of research, it is reading deeply between and beyond to connect on a level to inspire habits of “lifelong learning, participative citizens[hip] and social responsibility” (Lupton, 2004, cited in Lupton et al, 2004, p. 1).

Herring (2017) argues that a key role of the TL is to advocate for IL in the library, in the classroom and in virtual spaces. My initial dialogue addressed this as I first attempted to formulate a clear picture of the responsibilities of a TL, noting that as information specialists (Australian School Library Association, 2014) information skills practice must be in place (Parker, 2020d). However, the five essential elements of collaboration, teaching, collection development, leadership, and professional development outlined by Stripling (2008, as cited in Levitov, 2016, p. 30) has given me a handy framework to reference as I develop my understanding of how the TL and the library can position themselves at the centre of an inquiry-based learning environment.

My Practice

Research in ETL401 exposed me to the variety of models that can be used to frame the delivery of inquiry learning in a school environment. Whilst understanding that there is no one-solution-fits-all answer to the implementation of inquiry-based learning (Levitov, 2016, p. 28) I recognised that to facilitate successful inquiry learning within the school, collaborative practice is key (p. 30) and thus inquiry skills should be delivered through team teaching. I put forward a proposal to the principal and senior executive advocating for information literacy practice (Herring, 2017) using the ISP/GID inquiry model (Kuhlthau et al., 2012).

Figure 5. Model of the information search process ISP inquiry model

Note. From “Information search process” by Carol C. Kuhlthau, n.d. (http://wp.comminfo.rutgers.edu/ckuhlthau/information-search-process/). Copyright 2021 by Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey.

Model of Guided Inquiry Design

Note. From “Guided inquiry design” by Carol C. Kuhlthau, Leslie Maniotes & Ann Caspari, n.d. (http://wp.comminfo.rutgers.edu/ckuhlthau/guided-inquiry-design/). Copyright 2021 by Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey.

Model of Guided Inquiry Design Framework – From ISP to Guided Inquiry DesignNote. From “Guided inquiry design” by Carol C. Kuhlthau, Leslie Maniotes & Ann Caspari, n.d. (http://wp.comminfo.rutgers.edu/ckuhlthau/guided-inquiry-design/). Copyright 2021 by Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey.

Figure 6. TL proposal to principal and senior executive, 2020

Note. From ‘The role of the teacher librarian’ by Ruth Parker, July 23, 2020, Personal communication. Copyright 2020 by Ruth Parker.

Reflections and Future Practice

Connecting with my blog post ‘The principal and I’ (Parker, 2020h) I am able to reflect positively upon the relationship between the principal and myself the TL. My ideas have been supported and accommodations made, allowing me to demonstrate innovative practice and inspire the educators I work with.

Reflecting upon concerns I had aired regarding insufficient teaching/learning time, “time with the students, time to inquire” (Parker, 2020j), I am aware this continues to impact my inquiry journey. It is true that many TLs wish to utilise more resources and/or time ‘developing or teaching information literacy programs or research skills programs’ (Softlink, 2021, p. 10) however, I am reminded that as a TL, flexibility and creativity when programming are essential to ensure students are provided with quality learning opportunities at all times.

I have been able to reflect upon and appreciate the support I have from the leadership team within the school. Current studies in ETL504 have given me an insight into the transformative leadership style that my principal and senior executive team display. Opportunities for collaboration have been offered in a supportive and trusting school climate to allow for the change I had proposed (Shatzer et al, 2014, p. 447). As a result, distributed accountability has been created for myself and my co-worker to allow us to contribute to improvement in practice and student achievement. I am beginning to see how as the TL I may utilise servant leadership, having the students’ best interests at heart, resulting in greater engagement and performance. Anecdotal observations of the trial program revealed increased student engagement and positive feedback. With this focus on collaboration and empathy (Burkus, 2010, para. 1) I am developing a real sense of how the TL is positioned within the leadership structure of the school.

(3) Digital Citizenship 

Thoughts on Theory

Prior to my studies in ETL523 I believed the role of the TL in the digital world was to guide, advise and support students to survive the digital information overwhelm (Parker, 2020c). My initial thoughts regarding digital citizenship (DC) centred on student safety online. Very quickly I realised that this is not the same as DC  and that to be true digital citizens students must make sense of an ever-increasing influx of information (Parker, 2020d) and “make good judgements and wise decisions” (AEW Services, 2008). Shaped by an ever-developing technological landscape (Parker, 2021a) this multifaceted concept was the practice of online behaviour demonstrating legal, ethical, safe and responsible uses of information and communication technologies (NETS, 2007, as cited in Greenhow, 2010, p. 24). I was further inspired by Culatta (2018) who described the impact of DC as improving our community, stimulating respectful debate, shaping public policy and allowing us the ability to recognise the validity of online sources.

Figure 7. Rethinking digital citizenship by ISTE, 2018.

ISTE. (2018, October 11). Rethinking digital citizenship. (YouTube | 11:08 mins) | https://youtu.be/iwKTYHBG5kk

Whilst creating a web guide (Parker, 2021b) to support the establishment of an effective digital learning environment (DLE) I connected with Mcintosh’s (2010) theory of 7 spaces of technology whereby the creation of a school learning environment is shaped by what users are doing and how they are doing it. It was clear that to provide a digital learning space for students means to consider the notion of learning behaviour and habits rather than formats or platforms. I found myself circling back to the idea of behaviour to contemplate how we as teachers behave, both in presenting the concept of DC to our students as well as reflecting on what sort of digital citizens we are and how we project our own digital selves. By transcending the classroom, the interplay between personal DLE, the school/workplace DLE and student DLEs forced me to realise how critical a system of effective connection, communication and collaboration amongst/between educators and learners is to address the impact that a rapidly changing digital landscape has on education.

My Practice

ETL523 allowed me to confront my own digital insecurities and consider a perceived “generational ignorance” (Parker, 2021e) was to lead me to profess a need to digitally upskill myself, to not fear technology as much as I have and learn to view it as an important part of the process of gathering information (Parker, 2020f). Whilst resolving myself to learner status alongside my students (Parker, 2021e) my outlook appears to have changed during the course. No longer resigning myself to the fact that no matter the level of competency, experience of technology will foster some form of opportunity (Stoeger, 2009) I now have aspirations to develop a healthy digital footprint, personal learning network (PLN) and workflow habits to attain teacherpreneur status (Parker, 2021e) in the digital world.

Figure 8. Graphic illustrating the key elements of a Teacherpreneur

Note. Adapted from ‘Leadership for Digital Citizenship Action’ by Julie Lindsay, 2014, ACEC http://goo.gl/Mlcegj. Copyright 2014 by Julie Lindsay.

This newfound confidence has encouraged me to assist in developing a DC program for the teachers to embed within their practice at my school. Working alongside an assistant principal I have been able to share my knowledge and resources gleaned from discussion forums and ETL523 study research to support this process. Critical evaluation skills I have developed have allowed me to evaluate online resources such as Netsafe and Common sense Education to consider appropriate frameworks to assist with the building of a program applicable to our school that can be utilised by our teachers.

Reflections and Future Practice

I aim to develop a long-term DC program to embed across the school curriculum in our school. I will be able to use the Environmental Scan research I completed in ETL523 (tailored to reflect my school needs) to frame the process.

Figure 9. Implementation plan for DC program at school

Note. Adapted from ‘Environmental scan report’ by Ruth Parker, 2021f, [Unpublished assignment submitted for ETL523]. Charles Sturt university.

I am consciously accumulating a variety of carefully selected digital tools to help support student learning and enhance research and presentation skills in my teaching practice. I am also beginning to see how I may weave technology into my teaching by reframing how I use models that support 21st century learning in an age of digital technology (as per Figure 10).

Figure 10. The Digital Bloom’s Taxonomy by Common Sense Education, 2016

Common Sense Education. (2016, July 13). The Digital Bloom’s Taxonomy. YouTube | 4:51 mins) | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqgTBwElPzU&ab_channel=CommonSenseEducation

Tasked with reflecting on my own PLN I realised that my digital connections were in fact limited. Engaging in discussion forums I have developed a greater awareness of my PLN and how best to improve and extend my connections to support my confidence, knowledge, and ability to guide my students (and peers) in a digital learning environment. I understand that this frames a practice of lifelong learning. Digital curation tools are helping to support this journey.

Figure 11. Pearltrees curation tool with PLN focus

Personal Learning Network, by ruthparker

Note. From ‘Personal learning network’ by Ruth Parker, 2021g, Pearltrees. https://www.pearltrees.com/ruthparker/personal-learning-network/id45158958

My studies in DC reinforced by my current studies in ETL 507 have highlighted the important role the TL plays within the school to foster the teaching of 21st century learning skills. I recognise how as the TL I should be positioned within middle leadership as “a collaborative, innovative and inspiring individual who is a digital expert/specialist/’Leading Light” (Parker, 2021d) to influence and support best practice teaching and learning across the school.

Part C: Evaluation of learning

Using the ASLA/ALIA TL Professional Standards to guide a self-evaluation of my learning during the Master of Education (Teacher Librarianship) course as I near the end of my studies, I recognise that I have attained key areas of understanding that will continue to inform my skills and approach as a professional TL. Equally I can identify areas that I would like to further pursue in order to move beyond a “great teacher librarian” (NSW Department of Education, 2021) to accomplish a status of an excellent TL.

Through the course of my studies, I have been guided towards and provided with rich and current research (peer reviewed and practitioner) that has informed my learning, fuelled important discussions, and supported my assessments. This has inspired a deeper love of learning and fortified my knowledge appreciation for current teaching and learning theory and practice. I consider myself aware of current national and international requirements regarding library and information management, as well as being able to refer to pertinent and recent standards documents, providing me with a comprehensive understanding of both in the area of information retrieval. Through a greater awareness of my own personal learning environment I continue to cultivate a professional support system through my involvement in several librarian and teaching networks and memberships in professional bodies such as ASLA. I remain dedicated to continued self-improvement and practice as a lifelong learner to ensure I am well-informed regarding information literacy and may inspire my colleagues and students. My studies thus far have provided me with key understandings that I will continue to strengthen and enrich through self-guided research and professional connections. I have developed a stronger sense of confidence and self-worth in my abilities.

As I review the very practical nature of a number of assessments that I have completed including inquiry learning programming (ETL401), annotated bibliographies and collection development policies (ETL503), descriptive and subject cataloguing and classification (ETL505) and an evidence based practice research proposal (INF447), I begin to realise that such experiences have only served to successfully enrich my professional practice as a teacher librarian. Equally I have been compelled to step out of my comfort zone and problem solve in areas that I have found unfamiliar. ETL523 assessment 1 required the construction of a web guide (Parker, 2021b) and digital artefact (Parker, 2021c) creation allowing me to appreciate the importance of the digital learning environment and introduced me to a number of effective digital tools that I have begun to embed more confidently into my teaching and learning programming. Collaborative practice is not only something that has been highlighted as a key process for best practice throughout my studies, but it has been consistently encouraged through the supportive discussion forums, online classes and collegial nature of the study groups.

My recent studies in ETL504 have introduced me to the concept of TL as a leader. I am beginning to see how a professional TL should commit to fostering professional learning communities and influence others as a transformational leader from the middle. This has empowered me to understand how I may nurture as well as promote my presence in the school community and look towards further professional development to support me to confidently provide effective leadership.

Abilock, D. (n.d.). Information literacy: Building blocks of research: Overview of design, process
and outcomes.
NoodleTools. https://web.archive.org/web/20160408084356/http://www.noodletools.com/debbie/literacies/information/1over/infolit1.html

AEW Services. (2008). Community of practice: Part B. The Information Hierarchy. [Slideshare]. http://www.maxwideman.com/issacons/iac1013d/sld004.htm

Akutsu-Hughes, C. (2021, June). Japanese Library Project. Northbridge Public School Newsletter. https://www.thebuzz.net.au/nps/article/japanese-library-section/

Australian Library and Information Association & Australian School Library Association (ALIA & ASLA). (2004). Standards of professional excellence for teacher librarians. https://www.alia.org.au/about-alia/policies-standards-and-guidelines/standards-professional-excellence-teacher-librarians

Australian Library and Information Association Schools and Victorian Catholic Teacher Librarians. (2017). Policy development manual. Australian School Library Association. https://asla.org.au/resources/Documents/Website%20Documents/Policies/policies-procedures-manual_ed2.pdf

Australian School Libraries Association. (n.d.). About ASLA. https://asla.org.au/

Australian School Library Association. (2014). What is a teacher librarian? https://asla.org.au/what-is-a-teacher-librarian.

Burkus, D. (2010, April 1). Servant leadership theory. David Burkus. http://davidburkus.com/2010/04/servant-leadership-theory/

Common Sense Education. (2016, July 13). What is Bloom’s Digital Taxonomy? [Animated Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqgTBwElPzU&ab_channel=CommonSenseEducation

Common Sense Education. (2020). Digital Citizenship Curriculum Overview. https://www.commonsense.org/education/system/files/digital_citizenship_curriculum_overview_2020_0.pdf?x=1

Common Sense Education. (2020). Common sense schools road map. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YgcebAUaYkWg88Zz-oI0ucXVBmYEzYqmuHM-38o-aHI/edit

Corrall, S. (2011). The concept of collection development in the digital world. In M. Fieldhouse & A. Marshall (Eds.), Collection development in the digital age (pp. 3-24). Facet Publishing.

Evans, G.E. & Saponaro, M.Z. (2012) Library and information science text: Collection management basics (6th ed.). ABC-CLIO, LLC.

Greenhow, C. (2010). A new concept of citizenship for the digital age. Learning & Leading with Technology, 37(6), 24-25.

Herring, J. E. (2017). The future role of the teacher librarian. Connections, 100(1) 10-11. https://www.scisdata.com/connections/issue-100/the-future-role-of-the-teacher-librarian/

ISTE. (2018, October 11). Rethinking digital citizenship  | Richard Culatta [Video]. YouTube. https://youtu.be/iwKTYHBG5kk

Johnson, P. (2018). Fundamentals of collection development and management (4th ed.). ALA Editions.

Kimmel, S.C. (2014). Developing collections to empower learners. American Library Association.

Kuhlthau, C. C. (n.d.). Information search process. Rutgers School of Information and Communication. http://wp.comminfo.rutgers.edu/ckuhlthau/information-search-process/

Kuhlthau, C. C., Maniotes, L. K. & Caspari, A. K. (n.d.). Guided inquiry design. Rutgers School of Information and Communication. http://wp.comminfo.rutgers.edu/ckuhlthau/guided-inquiry-design/

Kuhlthau, C.C., Maniotes, L.K., & Caspari, A.K. (2012). Guided inquiry design: A framework for inquiry in your school. ABC-CLIO, LLC.

Kutner, L., & Armstrong, A. (2012). Rethinking information literacy in a globalized world. Communications in Information Literacy, 6(1), 24-33. http://dx.doi.org.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/10.15760/comminfolit.2012.6.1.115

Langford, L. (1998). Information literacy: A clarification. School Libraries Worldwide, 4(1), 59-72. http://www.fno.org/oct98/clarify.html

Levitov, D. (2016). School Libraries, Librarians, and Inquiry Learning. Teacher Librarian, 43(4), 28-31,34-35.

Lindsay, J. (2014). Leadership for digital citizenship action. [Workshop/Presentation]. ACEC Conference 2014, Adelaide, Australia. https://www.slideshare.net/julielindsay/leadership-for-digital-citizenship-action-acec-2014

Lupton, M., Glanville, C., McDonald, P., & Selzer, D. (2004). Information literacy toolkit. Griffith Institute of Higher Education. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/344198301_Information_Literacy_Toolkit

McIntosh, E. (2020, February 6). The seven spaces of learning. NoTosh. https://medium.com/notosh/the-seven-spaces-of-learning-7e02c8682777

Netsafe. (n.d.). Netsafeschools. Netsafe.org.nz. https://www.netsafe.org.nz/

NSW Department of Education. (n.d.). Digital device student workshops. https://sites.google.com/education.nsw.gov.au/digitaldevicestudentworkshop/home

NSW Department of Education. (2017). Handbook for School Libraries.    https://education.nsw.gov.au/content/dam/main-education/teaching-and-learning/curriculum/media/documents/schoollibrarieshandbook2015.pdf

NSW Department of Education. (2021). Exploring teaching as a career: Teacher Librarians. https://www.education.nsw.gov.au/teach-nsw/explore-teaching/types-of-teachers/specialist-teachers/teacher-librarian

NSW Department of Education. (2021). Policy library: Technology, devices and internet: Student use of digital devices and online services. https://policies.education.nsw.gov.au/policy-library/policies/pd-2020-0471?refid=285859

NSW Government. (2021). The Strategic Improvement Plan. A NSW Government Website – Education. https://education.nsw.gov.au/teaching-and-learning/school-excellence-and-accountability/2021-school-excellence-in-action/strategic-improvement-plan

O’Connell, J. (2012). So you think they can learn? SCAN, 31(2), 5-11. https://education.nsw.gov.au/teaching-and-learning/professional-learning/scan/past-issues/vol-31–2012/so-you-think-they-can-learn

Parker, R. (2020a, March 8). ETL401 The role of the teacher librarian in schools (assessment 1B): The keeper of the library. Ruth’s Journal. [Blog post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/ruth2020/2020/03/08/the-role-of-the-teacher-librarian-in-schools-assessment-1-part-b-blog-post/

Parker, R. (2020b, March 14). ETL503 Forum 1 [Discussion forum post]. Interact 2https://interact2.csu.edu.au

Parker, R. (2020c, March 15). ETL401 Module 2.1 reflections on information: Thinking about information. Ruth’s Journal. [Blog post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/ruth2020/2020/03/15/module-2-1-reflections/

Parker, R. (2020d, March 15). ETL401 Module 2.3 information society: Information society. Ruth’s Journal. [Blog post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/ruth2020/2020/03/15/module-2-3-reflections/

Parker, R. (2020e, March 15). ETL503 Module 1 the school library collection: Definitions of collection management and collection development. Ruth’s Journal. [Blog post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/ruth2020/2020/03/15/module-1-the-school-library-collection-reflections/

Parker, R. (2020f). Ditching Dewey and Genrefying the fiction/non-fiction collection. [Unpublished assignment submitted for ETL401]. Charles Sturt University. https://1drv.ms/w/s!AqFKWOxw2DYwjVVOqs3p3-O-U6LG?e=Qet8PG

Parker, R. (2020g, April 23). ETL401 Module 2.5 the TL and the information landscape: Teacher librarian in the information landscape. Ruth’s Journal. [Blog post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/ruth2020/2020/04/23/etl401-module-2-5-reflections/

Parker, R. (2020h, May 7). ETL401 Module 3 the relationship between the TL and the principal: The principal and I. Ruth’s Journal. [Blog post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/ruth2020/2020/05/07/etl-401-mod-3-the-relationship-between-the-tl-and-the-principal/

Parker, R. (2020i, May 11). ETL503 Module 5 evaluating collections: A reflection on Johnson’s 2018 methods of collection analysis. Ruth’s Journal. [Blog post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/ruth2020/2020/05/11/etl503-module-5-evaluating-collections/

Parker, R. (2020j, May 15). ETL401 Module 3 the role of the teacher librarian (ii): The teacher librarian – an expert, a leader, a necessity? Ruth’s Journal. [Blog post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/ruth2020/2020/05/15/etl401-module-3-the-role-of-the-teacher-librarian-ii/

Parker, R. (2020k, May 25). ETL503 Part B assessment task – reflective practice: Reflective practice. Ruth’s Journal. [Blog post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/ruth2020/2020/05/25/etl503-part-b-assessment-task-reflective-practice/

Parker, R. (2021a, April 6). ETL523 Module 1 digital citizenship: Digital literacy – A reflection on Greenhow’s (2010) article. Ruth’s Journal. [Blog post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/ruth2020/2021/04/06/etl523-module-1-digital-citizenship/

Parker, R. (2021b, April 11). Leadership and the digital learning environment: Designing an effective digital learning environment in a primary school setting. [Web guide]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/digitallearningenvironment2021/

Parker, R. (2021c, May 4). Designing the digital learning environment: A presentation for the leadership team in a primary school setting. [Animated video]. https://www.powtoon.com/ws/dnl0Gbkuv8v/1/m

Parker, R. (2021d, May 17). ETL523 Forum 6.2 – Influencing the broader agenda. [Discussion forum post]. Interact 2https://interact2.csu.edu.au

Parker, R. (2021e, June 2). ETL523 Module Assessment 2 part B critical reflection. Ruth’s Journal. [Blog post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/ruth2020/2021/06/02/etl-523-assessment-2-reflection-blog/

Parker, R. (2021f). Environmental Scan Report. [Unpublished assignment submitted for ETL523]. Charles Sturt University.

Parker, R. (2021g). Personal Learning Network. Pearltrees. https://www.pearltrees.com/ruthparker/personal-learning-network/id45158958

Saikaly, J. (2019). Barker College Library: An ecosystem for reading. Access, 33(1), 12-19.

Schools Catalogue information Services. (2021). SCIS Standards for Cataloguing and Data Entry. Education Services Australia. https://www.scisdata.com/media/2297/sscde-may-2021.pdf

School Technology Branch. (2012). Digital citizenship policy development guide. Alberta Education. https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED544723.pdf

Shatzer, R.H., Caldarella, P., Hallam, P. R., & Brown, B.L. (2014). Comparing the effects of instructional and transformational leadership on student achievement: Implications for practice. Educational Management Administration & Leadership, 42(4), 445-459. https://doi.org/10.1177/1741143213502192

Softlink. (2020). The 2019 softlink Australia, New Zealand, and Asia-Pacific school library survey report. https://www.softlinkint.com/blog/softlink-apac-school-library-survey-report/?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTVRWbVkyTXhNR1JoTURaaSIsInQiOiJ6a3MzZnhhSXZaUk5jM3paSlwvYTFpYk5pZk5PZDRBeFg2clNXcVJvbWUrXC9CY2JaMFNwZ0taWGUrazVsSlwvcVFTU09IVHNGSFpqcDR0MnRtcEJTQm1KdkhFTit1czFPOHhFSUZYVnBZbERoVmdIM1wvSVBFdWw4aHNaanRvcW5HUVAifQ%3D%3D

Softlink. (2021). Australian school library survey report 2020. https://www.softlinkint.com/blog/softlink-apac-school-library-survey-report-2020/?mkt_tok=ODY4LU5IVi02NDQAAAF8tBriTP9ALXC1m8IztTUfyUb3prffAuIlbECAcQjAAHjsq2keqn719PfXipVgkCzt12aZ0jhVo-902LniIRvJ9XcHC6HPoSViUxdl1AEm5Yw

Stoeger, S. (2009). The digital melting pot: Bridging the digital native-immigrant divide. First Monday14(7). https://doi.org/10.5210/fm.v14i7.2474