ETL 504 What is Leadership?

What is Leadership?

Prior to beginning my readings for the subject ETL504 Teacher Librarian as Leader my ideas about leadership really stemmed from past education and personal experience.

Way back when I studied History at university, and it was during this time that I was directed towards studies of political, religious and regal leaderships. I remember assignments on Castlereagh and Disraeli (English Prime Ministers), Luther and his religious movement and the monarchy of Isabella and Ferdinand of Spain. Each of these significant persons in history displayed a form of leadership, leading people, a country and even a belief system with differing degrees of success. In this sense leaders then were responsible for great things, had huge responsibilities and appeared to make pivotal decisions that were to influence and guide the running of a country and the beliefs of the masses. They had power yes but were not always successful. So, my education led me to think of leadership as an operation, a position often held by one person. A role that allowed decisions to be made that would guide a group of people, a country and construct a belief system for the masses to adopt as their own.

Drawing on experiences in my professional life I was able to realise that leadership as a construct does not in fact belong to a select few but appears within every workplace setting (in fact in all grouping of individuals who require guidance). I have witnessed both successful leaders who garnered respect and loyalty, distant leaders who removed themselves from view and difficult leaders whose impact (micromanagement) created unsettled and unconfident workers.

My ideas about leadership settled on leadership as a position that could be filled by anyone with the correct credentials. Leadership however is not an objective that everyone aspires to either, nor is it always executed in a positive and successful manner (Lord of the Flies by William Golding despite being a work of fiction is perhaps a good example of leadership and its many nuances, good, bad and evil). This could be due in part to the fact that not everyone has the ability, the correct characteristics, to be a successful or at the very least measured leader. Environmental factors may also play a part in dictating leadership success or failure whereby political or societal restrictions may impact the freedom, ability and decision making of the leader. In my professional life I have not held a position of leadership and have often wondered if I have the necessary attributes to be a successful leader.

At this stage in my studies and having completed a majority of the required subjects I have begun to question my original ideas about the role of the TL and consider the positive strengths and attributes of a TL within the school community. Far from solely being a provider of information and an instrument of support the TL holds a position of expertise that allows the TL to guide and, in some ways, direct other members of the school community to perform successfully in their given roles. I am developing a greater understanding of the vital role a TL plays within the school. This subject focuses on teacher librarian as leader. I had not considered the position of the TL to be leadership worthy, rather showing strength in support and collaboration, working alongside the teaching staff. I am eager to further consider what leadership looks like for the TL and how this benefits the students, staff and school community.