ETL 507 Study Visit Blog

The benefit of connecting with practising information professionals representing a variety of agencies, gave me a deeper awareness of issues and activities in the field of information services. The study visits provided a platform for skilled presenters to nurture passion, encourage student engagement and provide guidance as myself and other students develop an understanding of the nature of the information workplace (Reynolds et al, 2016, p. 325). Strong themes of community, innovation, advocacy and accessibility were delivered across the presentations. I was challenged to consider the flexible and proactive nature of best practice realised through knowledge of audience and adaptation to changing user behaviours.

This experience extended my understanding of the variety of information agencies operating across the GLAM or GLAMR (J. Hanna, personal communication, April 15, 2021) sector. This further led me to consider the many and sometimes quite different qualities of each agency environment and how these shape the nature of each professionals’ role. interestingly a number of presenters highlighted the point that skills garnered from past experiences and employment can be effectively transferred or repurposed (H. Webster, personal communication, April 12, 2021; L. Gobbit, personal communication, April 15, 2021) to the information field.

Participating in such a community of practice (CoP) allowed me to further develop a sense of the culture, practices and expectations present in the information profession (Reynolds et al, 2016, p. 320). This sense of connection and collective experience made me reflect on the importance of a culture of collaboration; Using reflective questions and prompts during discussions to facilitate reflection (Osmond & Darlington, 2005, p. 5; L. Korodaj & H. Godfree, personal communication, April 19, 2021) as well as sharing ideas, workflow designs and program successes to inform best practice. I was able to benefit from the networking experience the visits provided and realise the importance of continuing this practice for future professional growth (H. Webster, personal communication, April 12, 2021).

Reynolds, S., Carroll, M., & Welch, B. (2016). Engaging with our future: The role of educators, practitioners, professional associations and employing organisations in the co-creation or information professionals. The Australian Library Journal, 65(4), 317-327. https://doi.org/10.1080/00049670.2016.1235529

Osmond, J., & Darlington, Y. (2005). Reflective analysis: Techniques for facilitating reflection. Australian Social Work, 58(1), 3-14.