ETL503 Module 3 School Library Suppliers

I’m not in this alone!

I was asked to consider what qualities I would look for in preferred school library suppliers during the readings for Module 4 (Legal and ethical issues of collections). Oh yes, I have a list of qualities:

• I prefer to support local but sometimes pricing/availability and timeframe can be an issue.
  • Friendly/easy to contact/communicate with.
  • Has a knowledge of the school library/community/our needs and wants (can make relevant suggestions to suit our collection).
  • I prefer to use in the main one supplier, whom I trust and respect. For oddities or one offs then online suppliers with competitive prices supplement this.
  • Discounts and special deals offered (always helps on a limited budget).
  • Proactive but not ‘in your face’ approach by the supplier. I really enjoy a curated selection they might offer (without prompting from myself). What I don’t feel comfortable with is the hard sell/constant phone.

So I have had time to reflect on this list, my list. I realise that these criteria are very important to me, they make me feel comfortable, safe and at ease. I know who I am dealing with, I can trust them, rely on them, have a joke or two with them. I know that the library suppliers I use are not the cheapest of the cheap BUT they give amazing service. Did I mention that they curate lists for libraries, they come and give presentations to the staff and talks to the students? They help me, they advise me, they understand me. This exercise has made me realise how lucky I am, how lucky our school is. The school library supplier is an integral part of the life of the school library – they are part of our school community and if you get a good one, don’t let them go.

Being a Teacher Librarian is a juggling act (one I try to do with a smile on my face each day – sometimes that’s a bit tricky), however thinking about the importance of a great library supplier has made me realise that I don’t have to try and do this on my own. The amazing teachers I collaborate with, the support staff who help in the library, the volunteer mums who come in to shelve the books, the library leaders (who take their job very seriously), the Principal and Exec, the school admin staff, we are all part of the school library community who help to operate a successful, thriving and welcoming place for the students.