ETL401 Module 3 The relationship between the TL and the Principal

‘The Principal and I’

During my readings for Module 3 – The role of the teacher librarian – I was struck by how significant the relationship between the TL and the Principal really is.

Haycock (2007) suggests that there is almost a symbiotic connection at play between the TL and Principal with both give and take from both parties evident in order to establish an environment rich in collaborative activity. Kachel (2017) however argues that TLs must develop strategies to influence the Principal in order to present themselves as indispensable. Whilst this takes research, planning and a certain amount of ‘groundwork’ as it were, it is a shame that such strategic game planning is necessary and that our voice, our actions and our ongoing contributions to the teaching and learning within classroom programs are not enough.

These views on the Principal/Tl aside, Lupton (2016) made me really reflect on my presence within my school. I identified with the idea that the TL has a broad perspective of the school. I enjoy my ‘bird’s eye view’ of the students’ and teachers’ comings and goings, the connections I can make with students across many grades and the ability to experience so many teaching styles when visiting classrooms and team teaching. This paper really made me think about the contributions I make, it made me wonder what my Principal thinks of me and how I can improve (or add to) what I am already doing.

It is essential that the Principal sees the importance of including the TL in all discussion, creation and development and provides the opportunity for this to happen through collaboration with the classroom teaching cohort. How this actually looks I am not sure, time is a big factor and ensuring the TL can meet with all the necessary stakeholders is a matter of clever scheduling, but it can be done. It is dependent on whether the Principal and Executive are prepared to make it work and see the value in a potential timetabling nightmare. Personally, I have never been timetabled to plan with anyone other than myself  and this does make me feel isolated – I spend a lot of my time popping into classes and chatting with teachers so I can get a better picture of the classroom activities. However, I am ready to put my case forward to the Exec – I am excited about what I can do with the other teachers and I really do want the opportunity to ‘make it happen’. Watch this space!!

Some thoughts about ways in which Principals can enable the role of the TL

• Providing flexible or mixed scheduling opens TL up to greater collaborative opportunities across the school. This could involve curriculum planning with year groups.
  • Provide opportunities for professional growth and development.
  • Visit the library frequently as well as encouraging the students and teachers to use the library and seek support from the TL.
  • Provide sufficient funds, staff materials and time.
  • Establish a collaborative culture across the school and expect all teachers and TL to participate.
  • Share their vision for the school with the TL to allow the TL to align library programming and instruction and the development of SMART objectives (Kachel, 2017) that reflect the Principals school priorities.
  • Be open to and encouraging of TLs ideas/suggestions.
  • Inviting the TL to be involved with school wide projects/committees harnessing their broad school perspective/knowledge.
  • Publicly promoting the library (to the students, staff and parent community – newsletter/website).

Some thoughts about ways in which TLs can enable the role of the Principal

• Understand the Principals priorities and school vision and work towards supporting this in the library program/objectives.
  • Develop a strong collaborative partnership with the Principal (Shannon, 2012 as citied in Lupton, 2016).
  • Be an expert teacher.
  • Develop or hone leadership qualities (demonstrating vision, influence, proactiveness, advocacy, strong management skills, being prepared to lead, communication skills, willingness to take risks).
  • Use your broad school perspective (big picture) to provide advice and ideas to benefit whole school practice.
  • Demonstrate a range of interpersonal skills (flexibility, willingness to learn, organised, open, personal stamina).
  • Show ICT expertise (upskill if necessary).
  • Take a proactive role in curriculum development.
  • Be a change agent – an innovator.

Kachel, D. (2017). The principal and the librarian. Positioning the school library program. Teacher Librarian, 45(1), 50-52.

Haycock, K. (2007). Collaboration: Critical success factors for student learning. School Libraries Worldwide, 13(1), 25-35.

Lupton, M. (2016). Adding Value: Principals’ perceptions of the role of the teacher librarian. School Libraries Worldwide, 22(1) 49-61.