Posted on

The Information Environment

Information processing

The difficulty in defining information as both a process and a concept in and of itself is evident when reading through Case’s, The Concept of Information (2006). The ways that meaning is encoded both in the delivery of the message and by the recipient is unknown and if it can not be seen can it be measured? This is one of the unresolved issues as outlined by Fox (p.57). However, the description of ‘information as telling,’ resonates within a class room setting I often create a narrative structure out of the information I am communicating to students (Fox, p.57). As teachers we position ourselves in ways that explicitly place us as an authority to be entrusted with the dispersing of information, significantly, these models show us the ways that our own encoding inevitably alters information before we even get to the telling stage. Knowing this presents an opportunity to demonstrate to students the language required to interrogate our own processes of information. Increasingly, we live in a time where fake news is utilised as a means to weaponise information, the infosphere contains content constructed with the deliberate intention to deceive along with everyday inaccuracies. My own notes are an example of the ways that information processing is both a deliberate and unintentional exercise.

Additionally, an interrogation of information output facilitates an understanding about the process that created it, so does that mean that this blog is the output and my notes are evidence of the process, similar to Losee’s cake analogy? I have already filled two 120 page A4 notebooks for ELT401 and much prefer a mind mapping process to a blogging one.  Perhaps it is because for me the process is much more interesting than the destination/message? It is through the rereading of my own notes (the process of transmission to receiver) that the message is reevaluated and changed, the blogging process requires a commitment to a position, and as my own narrative changes so does my own understanding of the information process and environment.

I need to become more familiar with different ways to communicate and present my ways of thinking.

Case, D. (2006). The concept of information. In Looking for information: A survey of research on information seeking, needs and behaviour, pp. 40-65. 2nd ed. Burlingham: Emerald Group Publishing Lid. ebook, CSU Library.