ETL402: Assessment 2 Part B – Reflection Post

My first major response, and unfortunately only public response, was answering Do you have a vision for the future of children’s literature? Who will be the drivers of change? (Bernard, 2021). Staying true to form, I rambled my thoughts of having a diverse, transmutable, active and communal vision. Immediately in module 1 my vision was highlighted through Wolf (2014), Ross Johnson’s discussion on what literature itself is (2014) and deeply resonated with Short’s inquiry into trending children’s literature from 2018. I have carried Short’s article throughout this module, focusing on the point that the continued lack of diversity is impacting heavily on readers and their passion for reading. 

In both Assessment 1 and 2 I strove to highlight the importance of having diverse literature and due to the nature of the market, how limited it is. This unit has given me a purpose to promote as much diverse literature as I am able to and encourage others to push towards change. Upon reflection, I’ve noticed that my focus in Module 3 was on a public library, rather than a school. Currently not working in the field it was challenging, but helped me to grow professionally in what public libraries can offer the community, both as outreach programs, and connecting with schools consistently. Reading for pleasure and the magic of reading are crucial to being a passionate reader and my personal skills enable more opportunities within a public setting. Pennac’s (2006) The Rights of the Reader hit both a professional and personal chord as I want as many children to experience the rights of the reader and find solace, comfort and joy in reading. (Or as the first rule states, not reading). 

As teachers, we constantly push the boundaries of what is capable to fit in a day. How much curriculum we can explore and fundamentally teach, however, teacher librarians are given the unique opportunity to embrace our love of literature and apply the curriculum in unexpected ways. Creating a resource kit and finding all different kinds of literature was fantastic and stretched my abilities to find those unique resources in a variety of different places. 

This unit also helped to shape a better understanding of literary learning. The concept of using literature as learning, or as a conduit for learning is stated in Module 5 as not commonly found in literature and I believe that the conversations around literary learning needs to move into the academic sphere as they are valuable skills accessible to students, if quality teaching and learning opportunities are created. TLs apply the curriculum through literature and offer those special moments that help students to facilitate literacy skills alongside the passion for literature and learning from reading. With the definition of literacy being rather murky and multiple definitions applicable, I personally think the curriculum should have more of a focus on literary learning and both students and teachers would have a more enjoyable experience. The references used throughout demonstrate the strategies used in literary learning definitely confirm that statement. 

References: 

Bernard, P. (2021). ETL402: My Vision For The Future of Children’s Literature. [Blog]

Pennac, D. (2006). The rights of the reader. Walker Books.

Ross Johnston, R. (2014). Literature, the curriculum and 21st-century literacy . In G. Winch, R. Ross Johnston, P. March, L. Ljungdahl & M. Holliday (Eds.), Literacy: Reading, writing and children’s literature (5th ed., pp. 472-491). Oxford University Press. 

Short, K. (2018). What’s trending in children’s literature and why it matters. Language Arts, 95(5), 287-298.

Wolf, S. (2014). Children’s literature on the digital move. Reading Teacher, 67(6), 413- 417. https://doi-org.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/10.1002/trtr.1235