Conflict Resolution – Self Assessment

In Module 3 of ETL504, we were invited to assess our ability to resolve conflict in a professional sense using the self-assessment provided by McGraw-Hill

The results of the self-assessment are broken up into different overarching concepts relating to conflict handling; yielding, compromising, forcing, problem-solving and avoiding. The results show you in a graph where your score lies with each concept ranging from 4 to 20. The 4 to 20 scoring indicates that if you score closer to 4 you are less likely to adhere to that concept whereas if you score 20 you are much more likely to adhere to that concept.

My self-assessment for conflict management results were;

• Yielding – 16
  • Compromising – 16
  • Forcing – 10
  • Problem-solving – 15
  • Avoiding – 16

The results indicate that I prefer to avoid conflict and when I am involved in conflict, I tend to take a compromising and sometimes yielding stance. These results accurately reflect my conflict handling abilities in personal situations. When I reflect upon these results, I wonder if yielding is a particularly effective way to deal with conflict especially in a professional stance. It is important for individuals to stand by their beliefs and communicate effectively with other colleagues who may not adhere to similar ideas. I believe my next steps in conflict handling will involve being able to stand by my beliefs when I find my colleagues do not agree. Conflict in professional settings is an inevitable occurrence however I feel confident that the skills I have from personal conflict can easily be translated to a school library/education professional setting

References;

McGraw-Hill Global Education Holdings. (2020). Self-assessment 11.4: What is your preferred conflict handling style?  McGraw-Hill Connect. http://highered.mheducation.com/sites/007040187x/student_view0/chapter11/self-assessment_11_4.html