Mostly Harmless

A reflective journal of a student teacher librarian

ETL401 – Assessment 3, Part C

The culmination of my learning journey in ETL401 involves a reflective practice task whereby I am to provide a critical reflection of how my thinking (particularly around inquiry learning) has expanded. Considering reflection is a fundamental component of Guided Inquiry and that “reflection and thinking about the ideas encountered…[will] enable students to construct knowledge and meaning” (Kuhlthau, Maniotes & Caspari, 2007, p.25), this seems like a pertinent task. Reflection, as I have learned, is an important part of the inquiry process and one that I had overlooked when commencing my studies.

In the early stages of this course, when posting about information literacy during module 2.1, Thinking about information, I was initially confronted with a new way of thinking about the nature of information as part of the data-knowledge continuum. I found this quite helpful to consider how this may pertain to the way students receive and use information and as my study progressed I began to see how this could be applied further. As I began to reflect on my initial learning about the information literacy (IL) models I began to see how this way of thinking about information could be aligned to the Information Search Process (ISP), which is the foundation of Guided Inquiry Design (GID), as a way of learning. I began to see similarities in the nature of information itself and the “holistic experience in the process of learning” (Maniotes, 2017, p.5) of the ISP. Information can often be perceived to not make much sense (chaos), which mirrors the uncertainty and vague experience of students in the early, initiation stages of the ISP. One of the ideas I discussed in my blog post about my professional learning experience with Karen Maniotes and GID is “uncertainty is the beginning of learning”. It reminded me of the data-knowledge-continuum in that information can often begin at a point that doesn’t hold any real meaning for students, but can gradually transform into knowledge when the student reaches the later part of the ISP. They gain clarity, increased focus and interest in their research and the information that they are engaging with which is continued further in the GID stages of Create, Share and Evaluate whereby knowledge becomes wisdom that is presented, shared and reflected upon.

Originally my thinking about information literacy was based on celebrating the benefits of information in a digital world, whilst addressing some of the negatives I see in students who misuse or mismanage information. It was all about how digital platforms provide access to information at all times and the ease at which information can be granted but I didn’t consider the reasons that information should or shouldn’t be affected and the impact that such censorship may have on a student’s capacity to demonstrate good IL practices. Now, after considering my response to another forum post in 2.1, Thinking about information, I have come to consider a link between restricting information and the TLs ability to ensure students are developing skills in not only how and where to find information, but also to be able to adequately assess information for relevance, bias, value and merit. If these skills are taught and developed throughout a unit of work, and consistently throughout their schooling, then students will be better equipped to critically evaluate and analyse complex, challenging and confronting sources of information. With strong IL skills students are better positioned to manage sensitive information that may otherwise be too difficult or detrimental to absorb without the appropriate mindset, skillset or attitude to approach it.

Whilst the death of libraries saw myself take a stand against traditional notions of what a modern-day school library can look like, it wasn’t until I reflected upon the prospect of TLs becoming endangered that I began to make connections between Karen Bonanno’s article “A profession at the tipping point (revisited)” (2015) and the role of TLs in inquiry learning. Bonanno’s article echoed some ideas that I have been developing concerning inquiry learning. Specifically, in the areas of building capacity in new and emerging pedagogies and gathering evidence of practice. Inquiry learning is a new pedagogical practice that I am developing, and the GID unit that I am co-authoring and co-teaching will provide ample opportunities for me to show evidence of my practice. Both endeavours will serve to make me a more valuable TL.

Bonanno , K. (2015). A profession at the tipping point (revisited). Access, March, 14-21

Kuhlthau, C, Maniotes, L. K, Caspari, A. (2007). Guided Inquiry: Learning in the 21st Century. Santa Barbara: CA: Libraries Unlimited.

Maniotes, L. K. (2017). Guided inquiry design in action: High school. Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited

1 Comment

1. Judy O'Connell

June 7, 2019 at 6:39 am

Your insight on information and information literacy is growing in leaps and bounds. There is more – and I am keen to see your thinking in 12 months time. Keep at it, we need deep thinkers such as yourself!