Digital Essay Proposal

Proposed Topic:
Social Media: Integration In The 21st Century Classroom.

Digital Tools
I am planning on using BlendSpace as the platform for my digital essay. This is an effective and reliable tool I have previously used with my students and I feel it would be an interesting and unique platform to use. BlendSpace is a resource which allows embedding of YouTube and Vimeo clips, hyperlinked text, Flickr and Creative Commons images, direct links to websites and embedding of podcasts. This is all completed in a drag and drop manner from the right menu bar. You can search from within the program and share to a worldwide audience.

I plan on drafting my assignment before embedding the text and resources onto BlendSpace. This will enable me to get a broad picture of the content, choose appropriate images and decide on how all the information is to be set out.

I believe I will be successful with using BlendSpace but if it does not turn out as planned I will use Weebly as it is a platform I am very familiar with.

Rationale
Technology in the current day enables users to join and form online communities of common interest to collaborate, connect and create information. Social media is continually evolving and we are seeing it used in more classrooms. Project Tomorrow (2013) shares that students in 21st century learning environments are using social media to connect, collaborate and create content in ways that are meaningful to them. Students are adapting these tools to create personalised learning experiences through online interactions.

Social media’s capacity to enable students to connect, share and collaborate has made its use increasingly common in educational domains (Bosman & Zagenczyk, 2011). It provides a range of new and exciting opportunities for teaching and learning. Levinson (2010) states that as the conversation about the digital divide shifts from questions about technological access to ones concerning participation; educators must work to ensure that every young person has access to the tools, skills and experiences needed to join in this new participatory culture.

The Australian Curriculum’s ICT Capabilities state that students need to develop information creation and presentation, problem solving, decision-making, communication, creative expression, and empirical reasoning, all of which can be gained from the appropriate use of social media. Hence, in this digital essay I endeavor to explore how social media can be used successfully in the classroom to assist students in achieving these requirements. I aim to focus on the following points:

• What is social media in the 21st Century classroom and why is it important?
  • How can teachers and/or schools effectively implement social media into classrooms?
  • How does implementing social media enable creativity, collaboration and learner lead innovation in the 21st Century classroom?
  • Classroom scenarios.

I often hear educators speaking of the limitations that schools and sectors put on the use of social media in schools. I intend for my digital essay to push the boundaries of these limitations and shed light on the possibilities. Literature from, but not limited to Redecker, et al (2011), Prensky (2001), Meyers (2013), Crockett (2011), Hattie (2008) and Davies (2011) will provide scholarly support and other supporting materials will be drawn from YouTube and podcasts, as well as social media platforms in general.

Australian Curriculum. Scope of ICT Capability. http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/generalcapabilities/information-and-communication-technology-capability/introduction/scope-of-ict-capability Retrieved 2nd May, 2015.

Bosman, L, & Zagenczyk, T. (2011). Revitalise Your Teaching: Creative Approaches To Applying Social Media In The Classroom. Social Media Tools and Platforms in Learning Environments. P. 3-15. Berlin: Springer-Berlin Heidelerg

Levinson, M. (2010). From Fear to Facebook: One School’s Journey. USA: ISTE