Leadership and the case study groups

I went into the case study groups wanting to be a bit of a leader but also not wanting to take over the group – I didn’t want to be controlling and I didn’t want to prevent others from having a chance at leading.  I would say we had two people that were co-leaders of the group, although this was definitely an informal arrangement.  I was one of the people that co-lead the group.  This sentiment of mine was reinforced by fellow student and case study group member Jennifer Greensill (whose permission I have to repost this).

Jenn said:

I think your contributions in here have been great! Your feedback and the ideas you present have all been valid and valuable. You have been a leader in here, especially initiating conversations and stepping up to do our group’s first response post. Initiating conversations and building relationships are vital in our leadership role as a TL and what you have demonstrated in here are definitely transferable skills and attributes you can apply to your real world context and also mention in your reflection. (Greensill, J., 2019, personal communication).

Another group member also commented on a blog post of mine, which reiterated Jenn’s thoughts. This was encouraging for me to know that I had achieved what I had set out to do – be a leader, although not an overbearing one.  I took the lead in volunteering to compile the first group post, I helped to organise everyone and contributed to the discussion regularly. Not everyone contributed as much to the group; not everyone was able.  We worked together well, got our posts in on time and developed stronger professional connections.