ETL505: Module 3 (Part Two)

3.3 Metadata Standards

I was interested to note that some of the later standards have headings for the intended audience.  While I can see that this would be a useful tool for selection (a university student does not want a book targeted to primary school students and vice versa) I have seen many instances where books have been incorrectly categorised according to recommended audience.  For example, the book “P is for Pakistan” has been listed as appropriate for children 4-6 years old, however, from personal evaluation of the book I can tell you that the book is for older children, perhaps 8-12 year olds, and incorrectly given an audience of 4-6 year olds due to its alphabetical nature.

I confess, this submodule was a really hard slog.  Over 50 pages to read in the textbook and a really dry hour-long webinar to watch.

One thing that a FRBR/RDA model could improve is serendipity.  In the example in the video, someone searching for Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell could come across literary analyses of the book, or a biography of the author, that they may not have known existed and would not find intershelved with the novel Gone With the Wind. This reminds me of the catalogue records for The Tate.

3.4 RDA, MARC and SCIS

I’m finding the nostalgia on this MARC reading quite strong – Computers now have floppy disks and hard drives instead of tape drives used by mainframe computers, and that data is usually sent via floppy disk. LOL!

I also engaged in an interesting conversation with my husband who works in IT about entities and relational databases, and how most library catalogues are just digitised versions of card catalogues and he thinks that relational databases are so logical for library catalogues and that our current systems don’t make any sense (except when you consider their 18th Century origins).