ETL505: Module 2 Part One

2.1 Tools of Library Organisation

I began exploring the SCIS catalogue and started with a book my daughter got for Christmas, that I have read.  Wundersmith.

Screenshot of the catalogue record for Wundersmith

I found it interesting that there are four different ISBNs for this book, and there are two different versions that I can’t tell what the difference between them is.

I was also quite interested in the MARC record for the book.

MARC record for Wundersmith (screenshot)

I also searched “Maas” for books by Sarah J Mass – and was very glad for the quick link to results from 2014 onwards.  I looked at A Court of Thorns and Roses, and then clicked through to see books from that series, before more closely examining A Court of Frost and Starlight.

Finally I searched “Peregrine” in an effort to find a specific book from the series of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.  I settled on a book called “Tales of the Peculiar” which is by the same author and closely related to the series but not actually a part of the sequence of stories in the series.  It is also purported to be written by a character in the book (much the same way that Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is written by Newt Scamander (while actually being written by J.K. Rowling).

Screenshot of the catalogue record for Tales of the Peculiar

I noticed that the fictional author and publisher are noted and the series is noted in “other titles” however it is not logged as part of the series and given a number in the series.

SCIS is a third generation catalogue – I am sitting at home to access it! All the libraries I access have third generation OPACs, although my children’s school libraries are not available remotely, although I understand they have the capacity.  So I would say that they are third generation OPACs without all their potential realised.

When comparing a journal database with a library catalogue, I searched the Library, Information Science and Technology Abstracts with Full Text EBSCOHost database, and searched for school libraries and took a look at the detailed record for the first result that came up.

Screenshot of record for Reflections on Managing a School Library

This has many of the same, or similar fields to the SCIS records, below this screenshot (not shown) there were fields for ISSN, DOI and an accession number.

Screenshot of the Trove record for the Press Dress

I love Trove. It is so useful.  Above is a screenshot of the catalogue record for The Press Dress (the actual dress; note that it is recorded as realia).  Trove gives us access to digitised newspapers, Government Gazettes and historical photographs.  I also love to use it to search for books I want to read.  Rather than individually search the catalogues of all the library systems I belong to (seven and counting), I can go to Trove, find the title that I want, and view which libraries hold that title.  Screenshot of Trove record for Calamity

Using Google image search, I uploaded an image of a Commodore 64 that I downloaded yesterday for my INF541 post.

Screenshot of Google image search

Google recognised what the image was of and found other similar images.  This can be useful when wanting to identify a flower or animal.

Next I searched Trove for a place in Australia, a local Aboriginal site called Red Hands Cave.

Screenshot of Trove picture, object, image search for red hands cave

Trove immediately found images relevant to this search.

I found the section on Sound Retrieval interesting, as it said that we don’t really have technology that can recognise sounds the same way.  But that’s not true.  We have Shazam. As an example, I used Shazam today to identify the song that was playing in the shop I was in (BTW I didn’t like the song).

Screenshot of Shazam result - Confess by Jack RiverThe module then asks for us to search for a favourite song on mp3.com and Spotify.  Mp3.com seems useless.  There’s no easily apparent way to search for a song, but only artist, and even when I search for the artist I can’t see how to find a specific song of hers.

mp3.com sia page - screenshot

The Spotify website doesn’t really work to find music.  You need the app.  However once I was in the app it was a simple task to find the song I was after.

Spotify screenshot of search results for "confetti"

For fun, I played the song on my computer and activated Shazam on my phone.  I took a screenshot and managed to capture the transition between the app “listening” and displaying the name of the song.

Screenshot of Shazam listening to Confetti

There’s other ways of searching for songs, such as by BPM.  Jog.fm groups songs by BPM and the sort of time most people could run a kilometre if they run in time to the music.

Jog.fm showing the BPM for Helium by Sia and others

Reading what I have of this module so far, I do feel like I am slowly wrapping my head around FRBR, but it is slow going.  I also have appreciated the quality of videos and audio content in this subject (contrasting with previous subjects I have completed.