Resourcing Mathematics

As a task for ETL503 I need to choose a curriculum area and teaching level and think about how I would resource teaching of that curriculum area, answering what sort of resources I would provide and where I would go about finding them.

I have chosen Foundation Level (known in NSW as Kindergarten) Mathematics, the area of “Measurement and Geometry” specifically focusing the outcomes for time under the heading of “Using units of measurement” (found on the website of the Australian Curriculum).

Resources

If I was asked to provide a list or kit of resources to support the curriculum outcomes “Compare and order duration of events using everyday language of time” and “Connect days of the week to familiar events and actions” (Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority, n.d. Retrieved from: https://australiancurriculum.edu.au/, Mathematics>Foundation>Measurement and Geometry) I would provide a variety of resources to a classroom teacher, in the areas of books, interactive media, and manipulatives (while I don’t expect that the management and storage of all manipulative materials used within the school would come under the domain of the teacher librarian, I would expect that the TL would have a good knowledge of what was available in the school).

The first book that springs to mind is the Eric Carle classic, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. It is a good refresher on the days of the week, as one cannot assume that all children come to school with that knowledge. Clocks and More Clocks by Pat Hutchins is also another classic book on that topic, however I would also include more modern books such as The Clock Struck One: A Time Telling Tale, A Year On Our Farm by Penny Matthews and My Home in Kakadu by Jane Christopherson.

The interactive media able to be recommended would vary significantly depending on the technological capabilities of the school and classroom.  YouTube videos, interactive whiteboard games, websites and apps are all great, but will only be useful if the classroom has an interactive whiteboard, iPads or at least access to a computer room.  Of course, the manipulative materials available would depend on the school’s resources, but I imagine that basic calendars and time telling clocks would likely be available.

Finding Further Resources

Of course, these resources are what I can think of, off the top of my head.  But as a librarian I am not a source of all knowledge, but a finder and curator of knowledge and resources.  The Australian Curriculum website itself provides links to a website called Scootle that provides resource links for educators to find downloadable and interactive resources for their use.  Homeschooling websites can be another rich source of information, as well as online curation sites such as Pinterest and if all else fails (or maybe even before then) your personal learning network of teacher librarians and allied professionals can be a great source of knowledge and resources.  No man is an island and neither is a teacher librarian.

Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (n.d.) Mathematics. Found at the Australian Curriculum website. Retrieved from https://australiancurriculum.edu.au/f-10-curriculum/mathematics/

Appendix

Here are two websites that have a good selection of books about time for a variety of ages, although note that when looking at seasons most books will have a Northern Hemisphere bias.  A Year On Our Farm by Penny Matthews and My Home in Kakadu by Jane Christopherson are two good Australian resources on the seasons.

Teaching with Kids Books

Start With A Book.