judyo54blog

Thoughts on working and studying as a TL

reflection on ETL504 – leadership

| 0 comments

The course has allowed me to reflect on my working life in schools both as a teacher and teacher librarian. I have not previously thought about the leadership aspects of my role at school as a teacher librarian but I realise now that I have demonstrated this skill several times in the last two schools I have worked in, “Teacher librarians have always been leaders in their school environment”, (Korodaj, 2011).
In the first school, I took the lead by completely changing the shelving system in the library and creating a welcome and warm environment. I worked hard to make relationships with teachers I thought would be open to co-teaching and encouraged staff to use the library where I could support their teaching. In my current school, I have had to create a library from scratch – in a cupboard – as well as introducing a pop-up library that I wheel outside twice a week.
It is so important to be flexible when you work in libraries – having fixed views about how things should be done will not work in this environment. Fritz, (2013), refers to a list of critical habits that great leaders display and flexibility is on this list –providing the user the ability to change and adapt.
I am not sure where I will be in 5 years’ time – maybe not working so much as I get older. I would like to work in an overseas IB school for the experience as that course really involves the librarian. I am hoping to finish the course asap so I can put in on my resume to see where it takes me – maybe a leadership role?!

Korodaj, L. (2011). Chameleons embracing change: considering the image of the teacher librarian. Access (10300155), 25(4), 16–19. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/login.aspx?direct=true&db=lih&AN=70191863&site=ehost-live
Fritz, A. (2013). The Heart of One Teacher-Librarian. Medium, 37(3), 10–27. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/login.aspx?direct=true&db=lih&AN=96523172&site=ehost-live