The National Library of Australia’s twitter handle is @nlagovau and the first thing I noticed when I went on their twitter page was the header photo. It is a promotional picture of the ‘Cook and the Pacific’ exhibition the library is currently running. Scrolling down the ‘tweets & replies’ feed I noticed more tweets highlighting the of the Cook and the Pacific exhibition, like a picture of a Endeavour voyage map of Botany Bay by Richard Pickersgill, posted on the 17th January 2019 and a tweet on the 4th of January 2019 with information about Tupaia, a Ra’iatean priest, who helped Captain Cook as a navigator travelling through the Pacific Islands. This tweet was of particular interest to me as I am Pacific Islander and am interested in hearing more about Cook’s voyage through the Pacific from a Pacific Islanders point of view. Seeing this tweet made me want to go see the exhibition!

I noticed most of the organisations replies were thanking people for feedback, included a discussion on the 2nd of January between Twitter users who were questioning a eBook called Aboriginal Culture Essentials published by Creative Spirit’s that a user was suggesting the library put under review. Other tweets by the library that caught my eye were some with gorgeous old photos from new books the library are publishing. My favourite from a tweet from 12th January 2019 that was a picture of a Nurse called Annie Murray from country NSW from a book Nurses of Australia.

The target audience of this Twitter feed appears to be very broad. The NLAs twitter account appears to me to be targeting the general public and their user base. The tweets published prompt services and programs the library offers, their latest exhibitions, clips from their YouTube channel and various retweets from affiliated organisations such as Trove.  The library replies to user’s tweets on occasion but the majority of activity of the feed are @nlagovau tweets that encourage the public to visit the library and see what can be learnt by looking at Australia’s past, present and future.

Refernces:

National Library of Australia https://twitter.com/nlagovau/with_replies