January 18

Reading programs….myths debunked!

Module 3

I learnt so much after listening to Reading Rockets (2015, August 5). It was pointed out that when teachers put pressure on students to read, this actually pushes children way from reading. The idea of reading logs and book reports are counter-productive to engaging students in reading, and this is such a game-changer for me. I have been given the responsibility of running a reading program for our year 8s this year, which previously was supervised by any teacher that had a spare in their timetable (I know ☹).

This year, I have the privilege of running it alongside the Head of English, and I am so excited. However, my plans for reading logs and book reports have gone out the window. Sharp (2018) says that it is imperative that good teaching habits are modelled and great support is offered to students when looking for books, because students underestimate how difficult it is to find books. Travers and Travers (2008) provided some excellent advice for how to support students in their quest to find good books that appeal to them. They suggest that knowing the child is just as important as knowing the book. Having insight into a students’ cultural background, life experiences and personality type is just the beginning in trying to find that ‘right’ book, that is both enjoyable and meaningful. Reading ‘age’ is no longer that appropriate, and knowledge of the reader is what will stand teacher librarians (in collaboration with teachers) in good stead when helping students choose literature. I wholeheartedly agree with Pennac (2006) and the suggestion that children are introduced to the pleasure of reading in the home. Communication with parents is key in advocating for the importance of good reading practices, and is something that teacher librarians can promote in newsletters, blogs and other formats that communicate to the schooling community.

Pennac, D. (2006). The rights of the reader.  Walker Books.

Reading Rockets. (2015, August 5). Leading to reading [Video]. YouTube. https://youtu.be/jqgjvauQmYUTravers and Travers

Sharp, Colby. (2018, November 1). Free choice…with support: Game Changer [Video file]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/PiwiJWSIaFA

Travers, B. E., & Travers, J. F. (2008). Children’s literature: A developmental perspective. John Wiley & Sons.

Posted January 18, 2021 by helen.bourne in category ETL402 Literature Across the Curriculum