Ready, steady, INF536!

I am a school librarian in the secondary division of an international school in Zürich, Switzerland. I am now half-way with the MEd (KNID) course and it has felt as if I am climbing the Alps since day 1! It has been much harder and much more worthwhile than I could have expected. I have learnt a great deal through the subjects that I have finished, but up to now I had a reasonable idea of what I was taking on. Not so with this course. I know nothing about “design”. Zip. I am really stepping out of my comfort zone.

Our Middle school library seems to be in a perpetually evolving beta-state as we try to create a place that is student-centered, a space that facilitates and stimulates learning. Our school’s mission statement says: “At ICS we are committed to providing a supportive and enabling learning environment in which all members of the community are challenged to achieve their individual potential, encouraged to pursue their passions, and expected to fulfil their responsibilities. This is in essence what I want our library to be:  part of the learning environment where this happens. A lofty goal I know, and since I have no clue how to go about it, there will be a lot of reflecting happening during this module!

image by darkmoon1968 downloaded from pixabay

Like all learning”, I read in Module 1.1, “it will take time, effort and motivation to learn to think like a designer” (School of Information Studies, Charles Sturt University, 2015). I will be motivated, but will I have “the mental bandwidth” and time to learn the design skills needed? Time will tell…

Here is the plan:

• I will continue to blog regularly, as I find this tremendously helpful to structure my reflections.
  • I will be more consistent in reading the blogs of our INF536 cohort.
  • I will be brave and tweet out my blog posts.
  • This time I am going to use Diigo properly.
  • I will attempt to use Instagram.
  • I will read.
  • I will discuss.

Here are some thoughts from Doorley & Witthoft’s “Make space” that inspire me now:

“Starting with what you have encourages you to start small, move quickly, invest less, be visible to others, and build momentum” (p. 30)

“Pay attention to user-initiated changes and respond to them with modifications to your space) (p. 36)

“Arrange an environment to incite and support specific behaviour” (p. 47)

“Stagnant areas, piles of unused materials, and unattended corners and closets drag down the mood of a space (p. 30)

“Shaping attitudes and the behaviors they inspire is the ‘holy grail’ of space design” (p. 51)

I am ready to learn all I can about designing spaces for learning and hope to be able to apply this in our library.

I hope this is enough for success in INF536.

Doorley, S., & Witthoft, S. (2012). Make space: How to set the stage for creative collaboration. Hoboken (N.J.): J. Wiley.

School of Information Studies, Charles Sturt University. (2015). Module 1: Design theory within educational contexts. Retrieved from INF536: Designing Spaces for Learning website: https://bit.ly/2lFzRb4

2 thoughts on “Ready, steady, INF536!

1. Ann-Marie Parkes

Hi Gretha – just saying hello and to let you know that this a great site and very informative too!

I like the content as well as the visuals which provoked my curiosity.

I’m in Abu Dhabi so we’re on similar timezones.

Where are you off to for the summer?

best wishes Ann-Marie Parkes

2. Hi, Gretha!
    Best of luck on your design journey! Have you been brave and tweeted out your blog posts? I am setting twitter use as a goal for myself in INF533 this term. I am not so brave as to tweet my blog posts, though. Mostly I am retweeting from sources that I follow and occasionally tweeting something I come across somewhere else on my webward journeys.
    All the best!
    Marika