Creating my PLE for ETL523

I am having a meta-learning moment here at the beginning of ETL523, as I notice how I am preparing for my next formal learning experience…

I find myself consciously creating my Personal Learning Environment, or as Morrison calls it a “self-directed learning space”, as I:

• Adjust my daily ISTE feed
  • Search twitter’s #tags to see where digital citizenship fits in (#digcit, #DigCitPLN, #digitalcitizenship, #DigitalWellbeing, #onlinesafgety, #digitaletiquette, #digitalfootprint, …)
  • Adjust tweetdeck
  • Add #digcit gurus & fanatics to those I follow on twitter (@DrKMattson)
  • Join a facebook group
  • Join the recommended Diigo group and brows resources
  • Add to feedly (Steve Wheeler, Lee Watanabe-Crockett & Andrew Churches, …)
  • Reaching out to my PLN, I sift through the contacts of past lecturers and fellow-students to see who they know and follow.

It is clear to me that somewhere in the past year, since I started my Med (KN & DI) studies, I have become a believer in the connectivist concept that knowledge resides in the network, or  that in the connected world we develop knowledge through a series of connections, as I have done as I spent time and energy developing connections with people, groups and organisations with common passions and interests.

• I order a few books: Wheeler, Watanabe-Crockett & Churches, Greenhow, James, Mattson
  • I pull out a couple of old books: Mike Ribble, Jason Ohler

I create a new category in my Thinkspace blog with anticipation, because during the last module of study I learnt from Sylvia Tolisano that “Blogging is not an activity but a process” and Harold Jarche  challenges me as he finds blogging his “strongest form of learning”.

I consider and investigate new digital tools: Google keep and Tiki Toki timeline visualisation (and disregard both almost immediately). I lament the demise of Horizon Report and Wikispaces and wonder with @JulieLindsay about the cost of using “free tools”…

I reflect on how much further I start the journey this semester on the “Seven Degrees of Connectedness” (Lucier & Tolisano). Not only a lurker any longer I am keen to stretch myself and collaborate. I am ready to actively manage my learning environment, to learn, to connect, to share and to contribute to the creation of knowledge.

ETL523: Ready or not, here I come!

2 thoughts on “Creating my PLE for ETL523

1. Hi Gretha,

Your blog has been inspiring and a great demonstration of how blogs can work effectively. As per the assessment task for INF530, I have viewed a range of other student’s blogs and have written about your blog specifically for this assessment task. You will find it in my Thinkspace blogging space under the INF530 Blog task #3.
    Thanks Gretha!
    Best regards,
    Lorraine.

2. Thank you Lorraine, I still have conflicting emotions about my blog. I love the fact that my words are read, but despair that they are not perfect. But all in all this is about me learning about learning to learn, and that is what matters most.