Module 2.2 Discussion forum post

Based on your reading, identify three (3) principles of participation and engagement that you can apply to enhance the development, refinement, or expansion of your PLN.
Provide a brief explanation of how you can turn each of these principles into action.

I struggled to formulate my answer to this discussion topic, until I asked myself this question: “What is the goal with developing my PLN?” From my answer, my principles of participation emerged.

ENGAGE in active participation in online networks, to grow and develop as a connected educator (or “take it to the next level”)

Seek and develop opportunities to engage in conversations and projects, and build relationships, that will connect me as an educator to others in my profession. Do this by purposefully progressing along the continuum of participation.

NEXT ACTIONS: For me this means to move beyond lurking in corridors (reading/watching/listening) to entering and taking part in more conversations (share, comment, ask questions, create dialogue) and eventually be bold enough to seek cooperation and collaboration.

Develop efficient work habits, literacies and competencies to participate in the connected world (or “choose and use your tools”)

Being a connected learner requires having the knowledge, skills and competencies to navigate the networked, digital world. A connected educator is familiar with, and competent in, using a palette of online tools with which to participate and engage in knowledge creation. A connected educator is also an effective curator of information sources and tools for own knowledge building and sharing.

NEXT ACTIONS: I need to improve my skills to produce multimedia artefacts – videos, screencasts and podcasts. I need to sort my use of Diigo out, pronto.

Set goals for development of my PLN and reflect on progress (or “how’s the plan going?”)

Connected educators are life-long learners who take control and actively plan for and manage their own learning. Development of a PLN is about improving as a connected educator and librarian. I need to plan next steps and engagements in the participation continuum, implement them and reflect on what was learnt – successes, failures and surprises.

NEXT ACTIONS: I need to write and reflect on my learning more often – this probably means a blog. I am not a blogger yet and reflecting is not a natural practice for me.