Game-based Learning INF541: Assessment 1 Blog Task

As an early-childhood trained educator, I have a solid understanding of how play and learning go together. GBL (Game-based learning) I feel is a currently underutilized and misunderstood resource that teachers could be incorporating to help our students learn and develop their love of learning. However, my current understanding is that there are barriers to this that need to be recognized, discussed and evaluated in order to reach the goal of authentically incorporating GBL to modern classrooms where teachers are the key.

Smith (2016) made some very interesting points that showed we should perhaps be more focussed on how kids are using technology (social media vs games) and maybe less on time spent on technology. There is definitely stigma attached to games and technology usage that Lieberoth (2017) mentions is reoccurring with each “cultural fear of the time”. Lieberoth also says that if teachers are not using games in class, kids are going to be accessing games, social media and other websites regardless. So, why not utilize this access, which is above the global average in Australia (Smith, 2016); to incorporate some transcending learning experiences into our time spent in class. If we don’t change something soon to “keep up” with the technological age, classroom time could become boring and obsolete. Especially, when the popularity rise of e-sports teams has grown so exponentially that gamers can now win more prize money than athletes competing in Wimbledon (Snider, 2019).

Infographic: Fortnite World Champion Bags $3 Million Prize | Statista

What are your aims and what do you want to learn?

Turkay, Hoffman, Kinzer, Chantes, & Vicari (2015, p. 3) state that a barrier for introducing GBL for teachers is the amount of options available in terms of “educational video-games” and the individual’s ability to make an informed decision about what games to use in their classroom authentically. My aim is to develop a working knowledge on how to best analyse games and incorporate them into my classroom while meeting student needs and the curriculum. I want to become a Technology Integration Coach in the future and I want to be able to help my colleagues to bridge this gap as much as possible. See my tweet sharing a resource from Common Sense Media.

What challenges do you want to meet?

I’ve always wanted to learn more about Minecraft specifically and this has been a challenge for me. I have read amazing things about what teachers are doing with this platform, including in the Smith (2016) reading. I want to learn more about it and how it can be used, especially in inquiry-based learning.

Another challenge I would like to meet is to be able to refute colleagues’ and parents’ claims of “technology can be detrimental to learning”. I want to help break this stigma for our student’s sake.

What are some games you have played and what you’ve learned from it?

My earliest gaming memory in a school setting (I was in grade 1 I think?) is of Midnight Rescue! It’s very nostalgic to view the gameplay, and to make it even more interesting, this time from a teacher’s perspective. It involved largely reading comprehension skills with some math and deduction skills.

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?1999 PC game ignited my love for languages and geography in a fun and engaging narrative that required critical thinking, problem-solving, reading comprehension, analyzing and inferring information. I truly think this game helped shape my want to travel, which has been very impactful on my life.

In reflecting on my own gameplay in the past and realizing how much this did impact me I feel a greater sense of importance in what I hope to achieve and learn in this course.

Lieberoth, A. (2017, October 18). Are computer games a teacher’s friend or enemy? Science Nordic. Retrieved from https://sciencenordic.com/denmark-information-technology-researcher-zone/are-computer-games-a-teachers-friend-or-enemy/1450156

Snider, M. (2019, July 28). Teens rule at $30 million Fortnite World Cup, game gets a Season 10 teaser. USA Today. Retrieved from https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2019/07/28/fortnite-world-cup-teens-win-millions-video-game-competition/1853236001/

Smith, B. (2016, August 8). Computer gamers have an edge in the classroom: study. Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved from https://www.smh.com.au/technology/computer-gamers-have-an-edge-in-the-classroom-study-20160808-gqnbhc.html

Turkay, S., Hoffman, D., Kinzer, C. K., Chantes, P., & Vicari, C. (2015). Toward understanding the potential of games for learning: Learning theory, game design characteristics, and situating video games in classrooms. Computers in the Schools, 31(1-2), 2–22. doi:10.1080/07380569.2015.890879

One thought on “Game-based Learning INF541: Assessment 1 Blog Task

1. Thanks for your thoughts Kirsten. I hope the coming weeks can arm you with the knowledge and inspiration to make your hopes for your classroom a reality.
    Carole