Selecting Resources

Module 2.1 of ETL503 Resourcing the Curriculum asked us to look at the way we select resources for our school library.  Having read Hughes-Hassell & Mancall (2005) and looking at the table they present on page 34 we were then asked to “Attempt to draft your own selection decision-making model or flowchart that considers a more complex set of choices and criteria”.

Well this proved to be a very tricky task at the beginning of this course.  As a TL who has not yet been in charge of selecting resources, I can only go based on what I have read so far and my experience to date.  At the moment I am not entirely sure what my process would be when selecting new resources so creating a new model based on my limited experience (choosing digital tools to use with Stage 3, suggesting a few fiction books for our collection) is a daunting task.

So alternatively, rather than create something completely new, I thought I would look at what Hughes-Hassell & Mancall (2005) presented and ‘tweak’ that a little to suit.  Creating a flowchart was a task in itself, but I managed to achieve it (yeah me!).  As our module notes stated many selection decisions are not as black and white as Hughes-Hassell & Mancall lead us to believe and many questions need to be answered in each stage of their process. So my chart adds some of these questions to the process to expand the thought process and hopefully make it relevant to my current situation.

This task is something I will return to later on in the subject, and probably later on in the course as I develop my TL skills and what to start documenting the process I follow.

References:
Hughes-Hassell, S. & Mancall, J. (2005). Collection management for youth: responding to the needs of learners [ALA Editions version]. Retrieved from http://ebookcentral.proquest.com.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/lib/csuau/detail.action?docID=289075
Just finished reading: Twinkle Twinkle, Little Bat – Beastly bedtime stories for all kinds of kids