ETL507 Professional Reflective Portfolio

Published on Author equinn1989Leave a comment

Part A – Personal Philosophy

An effective Teacher Librarian (TL) is a collector, conveyor and supporter of knowledge and understanding through skills and development of other people’s skills. As a collaborative leader in skill formation, the teacher librarian works with students, teachers and other peers to form a learning environment supportive of students needs and interests. Teacher librarians forms an integral component of student learning and wellbeing through their interpersonal skills and ability to converse with people to help them feel safe, secure and supported in the library space. Whole school learning is supported and developed deeper through the contributions of the library and teacher librarian.

Part B – Evaluation of learning

In my initial series of blog posts I reflected on, my decision to enrol in the course. I viewed it as an opportunity to access more knowledge and information whilst I was not working in school and kept me engaged in ongoing relevant learning for my interest in research. I also reflected on the role of the TL as a guide and mentor for students and teachers (McMaster, 2019a), this view has not changed in essence but has expanded to now incorporate the concept of a TL being a leader. The learning that occurs throughout the teacher librarianship course builds the skills of a teacher librarian to be mentor and guide in skills development and learning for all.

The subjects completed during the masters has equipped me to be a TL with a wide range of professional knowledge, practice and commitment to lifelong learning as outlined by standards of professional excellence by the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA, 2004). The skills further developed include: information literacy, literature for engaged learning and leadership within a learning community. The skills developed, build teacher librarians to perform an important role in providing access to resources and skill development for staff and students in schools.

1. Information Literacy

Information literacy (IL) skills are developed and refined throughout the teacher librarianship course. IL can be defined in a variety of ways, Australian School Library Association (ASLA) identifies IL as the “ability to locate, manage and use of information to create information products using a variety of inquiry methods” (2016, p. 1). Similarly, the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP) defines IL as the “ability to think critically and make balanced judgements about information” (2018, p. 3). With the wide variations of definitions of IL and IL frameworks/models being similar in nature but different terminology used, it is important to understand how these variations can impact on learners understanding and use of these skills (McMaster, 2019f).

IL skills can appear initially as a set of skills specific to a particular setting, however this is not the case, information literacy is able to be incorporated across multiple disciplines, within classrooms and into the wider community (McMaster, 2019d). Throughout the course I have investigated the various skills considered to be essential to IL and the TLs responsibility in this area of learning. With the increasing volume and access to information as discussed in my blog (McMaster, 2019b), the skills developed to navigate this area are crucial to students and teachers. The role of the TL is now directed towards developing their own skills and the skills of others in the area of information literacy.

Upon reflecting on my own practices as a classroom teacher, I realised that I had been conducting IL lessons for the benefit of students from Year 7 to Year 12. The incorporation of frameworks such as Guided Inquiry (GI) or Project Based Learning (PBL) into the curriculum areas allowed for students to develop these skills over the entirety of their schooling experience (ACARA, 2012; CILIP, 2018). Due to the course I now understand the terminology and steps towards building IL inquiry skills. In understanding the terminology and steps in a more clear and meaningful way, I have been able to assist students as a casual teacher in developing and utilising skills in the areas of identifying appropriate search terminologies and appropriate sources of information in preparation of creating responses to inquiry-based learning (McMaster, 2019b).

With the realisation during ETL401 and INF506 of the variety of (mis)information I endeavoured to further understand how transmission of (mis)information occurs. In my blog post (McMaster, 2019b) I discussed the ease at which false information can spread, especially with the immediate responses people receive from web chats. I further discussed the issue of (mis)information and the impact social media has had on student access to information during the progression of INF506 (McMaster, 2020d). As a result of the course and increased understanding and experience I have taken a more active approach to showing students clear examples of misinformation and information supported and fact-checked during IL lessons (McMaster, 2019b; McMaster, 2020d). The opportunity to further develop the skills of students in locating information in the future continues to be an area I wish to develop my own skills in further.

The interactions with IL assisted in sparking my interest to further research of the inequalities in access to technology (Erdiaw-Kwasie & Alma, 2016; Park, 2017) which are crucial in supporting skills in IL. This area I had already had personal experience in, the unit EER500 provided the opportunity to develop research skills which could be used to understand not only library clients IL experiences but also what access they had to technology to develop these skills further. Having been in rural and low socio-economic areas, Western NSW and coastal areas, I have had the opportunity to view inequalities to accessing technology to develop IL within the classroom and across the schools (McMaster, 2019h). As both a classroom teacher and casual teacher I have seen the abilities of students accessing and utilising skills in IL vary greatly according to the school location and system type. Having viewed this I find it all the more important to help students develop IL during the brief periods in which they can access and interact with technology and other resources.

It is clear that the role of the TL is to be responsive to the needs and abilities of students in the formation of IL. The effective TL will respond to systemic constraints to information access and use in order to still develop skills in IL. The TL is crucial in developing lessons in collaboration with classroom teachers to ensure a comprehensive approach to students developing IL beyond the library interactions.

1. Literature for engaged learning

Literature for engaging students in their learning is a key theme throughout the course of study. Whilst I enjoy reading, the study of subjects such as ETL402, ETL503 and INF506 affirmed the presence of literature within the classroom and learning context within the library. The genres, curriculum and promotion of literature in the library is crucial to developing students who are engaged readers who enjoy the process. The TLs role is crucial to developing a diverse and supportive collection for students.

Throughout the course I developed a greater understanding and appreciation of the genres within literature. I was well aware of the variety of genres but had not considered them in the context of the school library outside of the fiction/non-fiction designations. In providing access to a variety of literature students can develop and engage with skills crucial to their development as readers and learners (Ewing, 2014, p. 1). The unit ETL402 was crucial to developing this wider appreciation of genres. In my reflective blog (McMaster, 2020a), I reconsidered how effective my use of different literature genres had been in the classroom context, and felt that I had not incorporated them effectively. Through the development of my understanding of the use of literature in the classroom, I have developed lessons for a variety of ages during my placement and incorporated different texts into my own personal collection.

Engaging students in a variety of literature through the curriculum also promotes student engagement with learning. This is achieved through quality of texts and access students have to develop literary skills (Honan, 2015, p.2). In my reflective blog (McMaster, 2020a), I discussed the impact of different literature in understanding of the curriculum, and the importance of the inclusion of literature varieties in learning. Whilst some areas of curriculum are heavy with a variety of literary work, my blog discussed the inequality across curriculums in being able to incorporate literature effectively due to time constraints and pressures from other areas (McMaster, 2019c). The curriculum and literature incorporated into learning opportunities must ensure quality education through effective resourcing and equity in learning opportunities (ACARA About the Australian Curriculum, n.d.). I found during the course of completing the units ETL503 and ETL402, the amount of literature to support the teaching of the curriculum priority area of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history and cultures was varied in target audience and had a wide variety of fiction and non-fiction literature for engaging students. The units provided me with the opportunity to incorporate such literary texts in my own curriculum area. Completing such a task was new for me as I had not previously endeavoured to create a catalogue of texts beyond those which I already knew about.

The development of a collection of literature leads to the need for promotion of literature. Whilst it is important to ensure the collection development is carefully considered for the useability and longevity of the collection for readers (Kennedy, 2006; Foley, 2012), the promotional opportunities of the texts must also be viable. During INF506 I learnt about the promotion and sharing of information, displays and promotion of texts on social media. Through observing social media accounts of other libraries, schools and facilities, I was able to create my own displays and book promotion videos and posters appropriate for incorporation into the school. As discussed in my blog (McMaster, 2020b), social media can have a positive impact on reaching target audiences not only to promote literary texts but also to collaborate with others. In developing and following social media accounts related to literature and other professionals, it is possible to remain current with trends and advancements.

In the collection of literature, it is crucial that the TL provides the opportunity for users of the library to access a diverse range of genres and curriculum supportive materials (Wall & Ryan, 2010; Johnson, 2009). In providing this access, the TL encourages engagement with literature of interest to the user and also supports learning of students in line with the curriculum. The TL providing this access also develops students understanding and ability to utilise skills in a variety of mediums: oral, print and visual enhancing the development of their own literary texts (ACARA, 2019b, para 1). Students actively engaged in their own learning encourages critical and creative thinking (ACARA, 2019a; Travers, 2008). I have come to understand that an exemplary TL is able to positively impact on students’ literary skills and understanding through for filling the diversity of needs of students.

1. Leadership within a learning community

Throughout the course and in particular the unit ETL504 I have come to an understanding of the role of the TL as a leader which is diverse and varied in nature. Due to the quality of skills required to be successful, the TL falls into a leadership role within the school community, whether intended or not. This role can be varied according to the type of leader the TL is, the way the leader works and promotes change for the benefit of learning of others. The TLs skill-based leadership is crucial in developing a learning environment.

Throughout the study of becoming a TL and the study of ETL504 it is apparent that the many different types of leaders’ impact on the success of others and their learning. Leadership styles that are most likely to be effectively implemented as a TL are instructional leadership and transformational leadership. Research shows that the instructional leader works towards a structured mission through professional development (Moir, 2014, p. 36) this leadership can be undertaken by many. The development and engagement of others results in a building of trust between learner and leader (Moir, 2014; spencekao, 2013). For the TL this can be an effective way of leading, to build trust with the staff they lead in the library and the learners that they are in contact with. Transformational leadership can also be used by the TL as a form of leadership as it allows for collaboration between the TL, other staff members and the staff in the library. The transformational leader creates trust and a focus on teaching and learning as a shared vision between colleagues is engaged upon (Holmes, 2013; Smith 2016). This approach also inspires and empowers the community to achieve through shared visions and a sense of pride in the shared accomplishments (Smith, 2016, p. 67). It is overall the TLs decision as to the direction they take in leadership and the incorporation of multiple styles may be necessary depending on the school community and the role which is needing to be for filled.

In my blog (McMaster, 2019a) I considered the role of the TL in school. I outlined the role as one of important communicative skills, providing support, guidance and experience in a range of skills. I had not considered that these skills are all part of being a leader. The TL has the opportunity to lead change within the school setting directly and indirectly to the benefit of student learning. I identified in my blog (McMaster, 2019a) some areas in which the TL influences change, with assessment writing, literacy skills and information literacy. Through the teaching of these skills to others, the TL leads change through demonstrating skills and developing the skills of others. This less direct form of leadership does not place them above other staff, instead it is a cooperative group transformation for the benefit of student learning. The TL as ‘manager’ of the library and the supporting staff, leads the changes directly through creating, judging and building relationships with staff (Colvin, 2000). The TL directly influencing change in these ways demonstrates the responsibilities held in the TL role. The initiation of programs such as Accelerated Reader to improve literacy, discussed in my blog (McMaster, 2019g), can influence the school direction and meet the needs of students according to the school plan and mission.

TLs are required as part of the standards of professional excellence by the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA, 2004). In particular standard 3.3 deals with the excellence of a TL in leadership through communication skills, information literacy, collaboration and effective leadership of school staff (ALIA, 2004). The communication skills developed through blogging, social networking and forum participation are crucial in the development of becoming a TL. The ability to adapt to and move forward with changes and developments are crucial for a leader such as a TL. In my blog (McMaster, 2020c) I identified strengths, these strengths I have I feel are crucial being a TL. These strengths include being a quick learner with a variety of knowledge bases. The willingness to expand beyond what you already know and be flexible are also important skills as a TL (McMaster, 2020c). I have come to understand that the role of the TL expands beyond the library and into the school community to lead innovative changes for learning.

Part C – Evaluation of learning to contribute to skills and attitudes as a professional

Professional knowledge, professional practice and professional commitment are outlined as the three standards of professional excellence by the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA, 2004). The document provides detailed objectives and expectations for the TL professional to demonstrate quality and excellence in teaching. In studying the Masters of Education (Teacher Librarianship) I have developed skills necessary to achieve and deeply develop ASLA/ALIA’s standards, and has given me further areas of focus for self-development.

Professional Knowledge

Throughout the process of participating in and completing units for the Masters of Education (Teacher Librarianship) course, my knowledge and understanding has developed greatly. Having not held a position in the library the units studied were especially important in developing my skills as a future Teacher Librarian (TL). The development of professional knowledge underpins the principles of lifelong learning (Standard 1.1) Throughout the modules of ETL401 my professional knowledge of information literacy (IL) and the practices to promote the learning of such skills for diverse learners. Through the subjects of ETL402 and ETL503, knowledge has been more deeply developed concerning current pedagogical methods, the curriculum and the placement of literature within the curriculum (Standard1.2 and 1.3). The subjects ETL401, ETL505 and ETL507 assisted in developing an understanding of the management of the library and information management (Standard 1.4).

Professional Practice

Throughout the course, the units highlighted diverse range of learning environments within the library were able to be explored and encourage progression of learning for the school community (Standard 2.1 and 2.4). The units ETL503, ETL504 and ETL402 highlighted the importance of collaborative work with teachers to facilitate resourcing of the curriculum (Standard 2.2). The unit ETL503 provided me the opportunity to evaluate past teaching and learning practices and consider the implications of using certain practices upon re-entering the workforce (Standard 2.4). In participating in ETL505 and EER500 I gained a further appreciation for the importance of exemplary reference and information services, provided through cataloguing of resources and inquiry methodology (Standard 2.3). Supporting the development and implementation of the libraries policy in line with the school’s mission is of great importance in ensuring the future use and development of the library, as demonstrated during my placement for the unit ETL507.

Professional Commitment

The course has continued to develop my professional commitment to learning. ETL504 gave me an appreciation of how a teacher librarian could be a leader within the context of a school library (Standard 3.3). I have had the opportunity to share my knowledge with students and teachers, to develop their own learning in innovation and research techniques. The unit ETL507 and INF506 units provided me with the opportunity to collaborate and work with a TL to develop resources for students I would not normally come in contact with (Standard 3.4). The importance of lifelong learning and evidence-based library programs were highlighted through the EER500 and ETL503 units which actively engaged me in research of changes in delivery of information and the importance of this to ongoing informed learning (Standard 3.1).

My overall knowledge and understanding of being a library professional have been greatly expanded in completing this course. Having not been in a TL position, the units have allowed me to immerse within the library setting. Course work has provided me with practical experience and opportunities to collaborate and connect with other professionals.

Australian Curriculum Assessment and Reporting Authority ACARA. (n.d.). The Australian Curriculum: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Cultures. Retrieved from: https://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/f-10-curriculum/cross-curriculum-priorities/aboriginal-and-torres-strait-islander-histories-and-cultures/

Australian Curriculum Assessment and Reporting Authority ACARA. (n.d.). The Australian Curriculum: About the Australian Curriculum. Retrieved from: https://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/about-the-australian-curriculum/

Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA). (2019a). Critical and Creative Thinking: learning continuum. General Capabilities. Sydney, AUS: Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority. Retrieved from: https://docs.acara.edu.au/resources/General_capabilities_-CCT_-_learning_continuum.pdf

Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA). (2019b). Literacy. General Capabilities. Sydney, AUS: Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority. Retrieved from: https://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/f-10-curriculum/general-capabilities/literacy/

Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA). (2004). Standards of professional excellence for teacher librarians. https://asla.org.au/resources/Documents/Website%20Documents/Policies/policy_tls_in_australia.pdf

Australian School Library Association (ASLA). (2016). Statement on Information Literacy. Policy. https://asla.org.au/resources/Documents/Website%20Documents/Policies/policy_Information_Literacy.pdf

Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professional. (2018). Definition of Information Literacy. CILIP Information Literacy Group. https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.cilip.org.uk/resource/resmgr/cilip/information_professional_and_news/press_releases/2018_03_information_lit_definition/cilip_definition_doc_final_f.pdf

Colvin, G. (2000, March). Managing in the info era. Fortune, 141(5). Retrieved from http://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2000/03/06/275231/index.htm?iid=sr-link1

Erdiaw-Kwasie, M. & Alam, K. (2016). Towards understanding digital divide in rural partnerships and development: a framework and evidence from rural Australia. Journal of Rural Studies, 43(1), 214-244. Retrieved from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S074301671530053X

Ewing, R. (2014, October). Phonics: Its place in the literacy story. Australian Literacy Educator’s Association: ALEA: Hot topics, 943. Retrieved from https://www.alea.edu.au/documents/item/943

Foley, C. (2012). eBooks for leisure and learning. Scan31(4), 6-14. Retrieved from:  https://search-informit-com-au.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/fullText;dn=587147687732871;res=IELHSS

Holmes, K., Clement, J. & Albright, J. (2012). The complex task of leading educational change in schools. School Leadership & Management, 33(3), 270-283. Doi:10.1080/13632434.2013.800477

Honan, E. (2015, March). Preparing Australian teachers to teach Literacy. Australian Literacy Educator’s Association: ALEA: Hot Topics, 1083. Retrieved from https://www.alea.edu.au/documents/item/1083

Johnson, P. (2009). Fundamentals of Collection developments and management. United States, American Library Association.

Kennedy, J. (2006). Collection Management: A Concise Introduction. Wagga Wagga, Australia: Charles Sturt University.

McMaster, E. (2019a, 4 March). Reflecting on the role of Teacher Librarians in schools [Blog post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/elysemcmaster/2019/03/04/reflecting-on-the-role-of-teacher-librarians-in-schools/

McMaster, E. (2019b, 16 March). Access to information [Blog post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/elysemcmaster/2019/03/16/access-to-information/

McMaster, E. (2019c, 19 March). Tension: the strains between fiction and non-fiction [Blog Post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/elysemcmaster/2019/03/19/tension-the-strains-between-fiction-and-non-fiction/

McMaster, E. (2019d, 24 April). TL role in IL [Blog post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/elysemcmaster/2019/04/24/tl-role-in-il/

McMaster, E. (2019e, 9 May). Blended learning… never heard of it [Blog post] https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/elysemcmaster/2019/05/09/blended-learning-never-heard-of-it/

McMaster, E. (2019f, 19 May). Reflection ETL401 [Blog post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/elysemcmaster/2019/05/19/reflection-etl401/

McMaster, E. (2019g, 22 July). The school structure and the library [Blog post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/elysemcmaster/2019/07/22/92/

McMaster, E. (2019h, 16 September). Four weeks without easy access [Blog post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/elysemcmaster/2019/09/16/four-weeks-without-easy-access/

McMaster, E. (2020a, 31 January). ETL402 – Reflective blog post [Blog post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/elysemcmaster/2020/01/31/etl-402-reflective-blog-post/

McMaster, E. (2020b, 14 March). INF506 Assessment Task 1 [Blog Post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/elysemcmaster/2020/03/14/inf506-assessment-task-1/

McMaster, E. (2020c, 31 March). My Strengths! [Blog post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/elysemcmaster/2020/03/31/my-strengths/

McMaster, E. (2020c, 13 May). OLJ Task 16: Authentic Information [Blog post]. https://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/elysemcmaster/2020/05/13/olj-task-16-authentic-information/

Moir, S., Hattie, J. & Jansen, C.  (2014). Teacher perspectives of ‘effective’ leadership in schools. Australian Educational Leader, 36(4), 36-40. Retrieved from http://www.minnisjournals.com.au/acel/

Park, S. (2017). Digital in equalities in rural Australia: a double jeopardy of remoteness and social exclusion. Journal of Rural Studies, 54(1), 399-407. DOI: 10.1016/j.jrurstud.2015.12.018

Smith, B.S. (2016). The role of leadership style in creating a great school. SELU Research Review Journal 1(1), 65-78. Retrieved from https://selu.usask.ca/documents/research-and-publications/srrj/SRRJ-1-1-Smith.pdf

spencekao. (2013, April 6). Instructional leadership. [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efzXDk1–4w [6.03 mins]

Travers, B.E. and Travers, J.F. (2008). Children, literature and development: interactions and insight. Children’s literature: a developmental perspective. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons. Retrieved from: https://doms.csu.edu.au/csu/file/c49acc93-e48e-4b64-8374-765211f9d4bf/1/travers-b.pdf

Wall, J. & Ryan, S. (2010).  Resourcing for curriculum innovation: Learning in a changing world. Victoria, Australia: ACER Press.